Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

FYI: Public Service Announcement!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anybody, that's not my intention. But I am frustrated and mad at myself for almost being "duped" by one of those letters. Fixing a problem like this is both monetarily expensive and time wise expensive. At least theirs some form of response going on here. I've tried PMing the mods of over at new challenger registry- Challenger Talk about a regestration issue and I can't get anybody to return a email, how rude.
Just curious does these spammers get paid for wrecking this kind of havoc or are they really just bored, introverted teenagers and young adults with nothing better to do?
Again, my apologies I guess this problem is "WAY" more pervasive then I imagined. To the mods here; Godpeed at getting these SOB's off our site once and for all!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ basically their jobs are to hide links or key words which will drive up websites and google points if they get clicked on. The emails / pm's however are more intriquette, they are a gateway to reading your machine so they can trace what sites you vist, get passwords and drop little "packettes" to track your email and website history. Then they use that info to sites, go in and exploit their crap.

Unfortunately, these also leave you vulnerable to their malicious "adware" that say your machine is infected and there is a registry you can use to clean your computer which again is bogus and if you use it, it ads rep points to the site offering the scan/fix, it can also lead to viruses and again dropped packettes to read your websites etc etc.