Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

monthly auto sales story

Old 09-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monthly auto sales story

San Antonio Express-News 9-5-08:

Toyota, Ford, Chrysler sales drop, but GM up

TOM KRISHER
AND DEE-ANN DURBIN
ASSOCIATED PRESS
DETROIT — Toyota, Ford and Chrysler each reported sales declines last month, but General Motors Corp. surprised industry analysts Tuesday by showing an increase in a declining U.S. auto market.
Toyota's 2.8 percent sales drop, Ford's 14.4 percent decline and Chrysler's 6.1 percent decrease were symptoms of what analysts said would be a slumping U.S. auto market because of high gasoline prices, rising mortgage payments and turmoil in the financial markets.
However, Toyota's truck sales were up 2 percent. Sales of the Tundra, which is built in San Antonio and Indiana, were up more than 69 percent thanks to incentives of nearly $5,000 per truck. Also, there were fewer Tundras for sale last year as Toyota was preparing for a design change.
GM, led by higher pickup sales, showed an increase of 6.1 percent, while Nissan Motor Co. reported its sales increased 6.3 percent for August compared with the same month last year.
Ford Motor Co. has blamed declining sales through the year on efforts to wean itself off low-profit sales to rental car companies and other fleet buyers. It also said it had heavy incentives that boosted sales last August.
But the automakers' sales analysts said they were being hit by a declining U.S. economy that has rattled consumers.
“Overall, the industry experienced softer sales in August than a year ago,” Darryl Jackson, vice president of U.S. sales for Chrysler LLC, said in a statement, adding that Chrysler's fleet sales are down more than 20 percent from the same month last year.
Toyota Motor Corp., with 233,471 vehicles sold in August, beat Ford's 217,436 for the month. The Japanese automaker sold 1.788 million vehicles during the first eight months of the year, edging Ford, which sold 1.784 million. Many analysts have predicted that Toyota will overtake Ford for the No. 2 slot for the full year in 2007.
“We manage our business to an internal plan,” said Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager for Toyota Motor Sales USA. “This is not anything we put any significance to,” Carter said of overtaking Ford.
Toyota's car sales, which include the Lexus and Infinity brands, were down 6 percent compared with August of last year.
Ford's car sales of 64,864 were off 33.7 percent when compared with the same month last year, while light truck sales slipped 2.3 percent to 152,572, the company reported.
In August, sales to individual retail customers were down 13 percent, but daily rental sales dropped 44 percent, the company said.
Overall, GM sold 385,529 light vehicles in August, compared with 363,521 in the same month last year.
GM's car sales dropped 7.8 percent, but its truck sales soared 16.6 percent for the month partly because of increased incentives on new pickup models. GM sales include Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Hummer, GMC, Pontiac and Saturn, as well as the European Saab brand.
Nissan truck sales, led by the full-sized Titan, rose 7.9 percent compared with August of last year, while its car sales were up 4.1 percent, the company reported. Its figures include the Nissan and Infiniti brands. Nissan sold 95,527 vehicles in August, compared with 89,848 in the same month last year.
Chrysler sold 168,203 vehicles in August, compared with 179,165 during the same month in 2006.
Honda reported a 4.7 percent overall increase, led by an 11.7 percent rise in car sales.
Paul Ballew, GM's executive director of global market and industry analysis, said that despite his company's increase, all automakers are being hit by economic uncertainty. High gasoline prices and declining home values have caused people to delay auto purchases or to exit the market altogether, he said.
“The industry is certainly feeling the effect of macroeconomic events,” he said.
Ford said sales of its new crossover vehicles, the Ford Edge an
Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: monthly auto sales story

I think GM has pretty much resolved their problems in the short term...for now. Their smaller mid-sized car offerings are the most competitive against the Japanese models out of everyone. Their larger mid-sized models are both relatively inexpensive and fuel efficient. Buick's current offerings have interior that reminds me of the interior Chrysler had on the LH models (a big improvement from that cheap other junk they had before hand). Pontiac is becoming interesting again. Cadillac is getting closer and closer to the European luxury cars. Their trucks for the first time in their history have interior that actually impresses me. They are the benchmarker for fuel efficiency in just about every class, except for compact cars. That is where they need work. Toyota looks as though they might have hit their peak.[sm=happy046.gif] I can only see more trouble for them and Nissan (and for Ford and Chrysler unfortunately) when the new Accord hits the market. It looks sharp (as strange as it sounds to say that about a Honda) and it sounds like it will be fast as well.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

So while we are on the subject.....

What would you pick for a reliable, good MPG, low maintenance, practical (4-door) car that doesn't cost and arm and a leg
and why?
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

So while we are on the subject.....

What would you pick for a reliable, good MPG, low maintenance, practical (4-door) car that doesn't cost and arm and a leg
and why?
Depends on the criteria. If I was buy I4s, I would go with a Ford Fusion because I trust the I4 engine. I don't like a lot of Ford's models and engines, but their I4s have a good reputation. I would also choose this because the manual transmission option. Although I wish more of this was actually made by Ford, I have heard scary things about the Ecotech by GM and the "World Engine" has not been out long enough yet for me to make an accurate judgement. Also an added bonus is my uncle used to work for Ford and I would get a nice discount on one. Those start I think around $18K base level before a discount.

If I was going with a fuel efficient V6 choice in the market I would get a base level Pontiac Grand Prix. I trust the 3800 engine after knowing enough people who have put over 200K and even 300K on them and most people claim it gets over 30mpg. I also know enough people that have had good luck with W-body GM models as well with the same engine. Also, we have a GM mastercard that would knock off a couple thousand off the price. Those start off around $20K before the mastercard discount.

If I was going budget performance, I would go with the Dodge Avenger R/T. I love the 3.5L V6 and have received good results with both the fuel economy (over 30 on the highway) and reliability and I know enough people that have had the same results as me, I just want the full H.O. version is all. If memory serves me right those start around $23K for that trim level.

If I was buying used and was not going to buy domestic cars for some unusual reason, I would buy an 05-06 Nissan Altima VQ-equipped (3.5L V6). There are plenty of cars that I would buy before one of these including a 300M, an 02-04 Intrepid SXT, supercharged Grand Prix, etc. I would go with that because my aunt has one and I like it, plus she claims that she gets around 32mpg. I don't like the new ones as well and would have to get a manual as I don't trust CVTs. Also Nissans are quite expensive and their I4 has a reputation for having reliability problems.

If fuel economy was the ultimate goal (something that will probably never happen as I will go diesel first), I would get a manual Accord I4. My friend has one and gets in the mid 30s on the highway. I like Accords-okay, not a car I dream of but you will find me in an Accord before you find me in a Camry. For the record, I have driven all of the cars I have listed (including the Camry).

If I was convinced that the 3.5L "High Value" engine found in the Saturn Aura was reliable, I would consider one of those as they can get over 30 mpg going by the old fuel economy standards which I find are pretty accurate for me. They are very nice cars, I was quite pleasantly impressed especially for the price. Those start around $20K before the mastercard discount I think.

Was that what you were wanting a response on Jeremiah, or were you thinking a compact car? Out of curosity, why do you ask?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

This is for my youngest son, who is out of school and got his first job. Very soon we will be replacing the 1999 Ford Taurus (my old car) he is driving, with a new car that he will buy.

Honestly, without doing any research, I thought about the Accord, Camry, and Jetta because of my perception of them.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

This is for my youngest son, who is out of school and got his first job. Very soon we will be replacing the 1999 Ford Taurus (my old car) he is driving, with a new car that he will buy.

Honestly, without doing any research, I thought about the Accord, Camry, and Jetta because of my perception of them.
Of that list, the Accord is the pick. Stay away from the Jetta at all costs is my advice unless he's planning on getting a diesel model a try for a manual at all costs. Volkswagen has serious issues. I would not recommend a Camry either. What things besides reliability is he looking for?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts