Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

new vs old influence on value

Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new vs old influence on value

Early on there were discussions about whether the new Challenger would diminish the value of classic Challengers?
I had time over the Holidays to organize my literature collection, for both new and classic Challengers. Here's what I found...

There was a ton of publicity in 1969 and 1970 about the Challenger, and the amount dropped off precipitously during and after 1971. There is nearly no literature on Challenger until the mid 1980's, sparse, none the less, right through 2006. Most articles in between 1970 and 2006 were in performance magazines and mostly referred to making drag race cars. Collectible Automobile in 1985 was a noteworthy publication about non altered classic muscle cars (Challenger). Since 2006 (Introduction of concept car) there has been a large number of stories about restored Challengers. The Barret Jackson million dollar 'Cuda from about that time fueled the fire as well. Auctions and restorers seem to be gobbling up classic Challengers to make big block clones, and resto mods.

Challengers both classic and new, are well represented in the die cast market. Another measure I use is the presence of Challenger in an ad for another product (non automotive). My collection illustrates lots of this for classic Thunderbird, still there has been a small increase in the presence of Challenger in the public media. Classic Challenger has been present as a major characters automobile in many movies and TV shows over the years, pretty consistently, and not just a spike since 2006. In its history in media, it seems Challenger is always driven by someone rough or tough, it is typically run roughshod.

My opinion: Thye have enhanced each other. I think the ongoing popularity of Challenger in media has helped propel the public's awareness of the new Challenger, and new Challenger has stimulated interest in the classic Challengers as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM

I feel you are correct in that the the original helped the new Challenger sales. Lets face it, most of us purchased a "new" Challenger because we owned an older Challenger or liked the looks, which was based on the older Challenger. As for the value of the original 1970-1971 Challengers, well they have always stayed high for the most part because of the performance image they had. And yes, write-ups on the Challenger dropped off in 1972, but so did that of all performance cars, as they stopped being performace cars they once were. I have already noticed how most of the car mags have stopped writing about the new Challenger and have turned all their attention to the new Camaro...but that's just the way it is.....
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it is still the baddest looking Muscle Car out there.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM

Ya know. In all honesty. I think that Dodge hasn't advetised at all. Sure there's Hot Wheels and a clip of one in a TV show, but i have only seen one comercial with a Challenger in it. And it was a 3 second blip of it burning out into the sunset. Dodge really needs to rethink their act if they want to be as big as the Camaro.

The Mustang has always been here, and the Camaro is get the crap advertived out of it.
But i've never seen dodge really push the Challenger much.
Sorry, rant over. That's just my two cents.

Last edited by tdub2112; 01-07-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 PM

No rant there...I agree no marketing plan for Challenger
Old 01-09-2010, 11:37 AM

One thing I've noticed lately is local Dodge dealers are using a lot more stock advertising footage with Challengers in it. They, at least, seem interested in touting the car.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM

I just read some stuff on allpar about fiats 5 year plan. Sounds like Fiat will be finally advertising their cars. Hopefully it will be a good thing for the Challenger.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 AM

I purchased my Challlenger only because I always wanted one ever since my friends big brother had a new 1970 Chally when i was too young to buy one. It was black and bad looking.
It is true, chrysler does nothing to market the Challengers or Chargers. their advertising budget seems to go only to the Jeeps and The Avengers some years ago. ( Mini chargers ) I am happy to get one just as well, I just hope they support the parts and repairs on these down the road ( 5-20 years ) etc. they drive nice and look nice.