Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Point Man

Old 05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Point Man - Week #7

Thanks guys for your prayers. The funeral is over, but one of the highlights was when his wife said, I am not hear to talk about my husband but about our marriage.

My marriage held steadfast for 32 years because we held to our vows. I loved him for better or for worse, in sickness and in health etc. etc. but in all this by having Jesus in her heart, she was able to have love, patience, understanding, kindness that she showed her husband while he was ill.

What a beautiful testimony of love!
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Point Man - Week #8

True character is revealed not by what a man does when people are watching but by what he does when nobody is around.

Point Man – Week #8 A Bible study on a man leading his family based on the Steve Farrar book.

A couple of weeks ago we talked about a husband and wife as a team in marriage
and for wives to submit to their husbands, for husbands to love their wives as Jesus
loved the church, and for husbands to treat their wives with respect.

Most of you who have been reading this post are probably a Christian male who is either married or one day hope to be. If you are married, you either have children or maybe hope some day to have children. If you are single, you probably hope to be married and possibly have children.

Even with all of the kids being born today, there has been an American trend for childless marriages and some of you may agree with that trend. If we Christians who are able to have children but elect not to, then where will the next generation of masculine men and feminine women come from? And if there are no masculine men and feminine women for the next generation or the ones to follow then this country is headed toward disaster.

Many couples find they can’t have children and resort to adoption, only to find there are not enough kids in this country because the abortion rate is so high. It is scary to know that the most dangerous place for a child is in the womb of a mother who is considering abortion.

Psalm 127:3 Children are a gift from the Lord. They are a reward from him.

If those who find an unwanted pregnancy and opt for an abortion would only think about the unborn baby and not their inconvenience, they would love that baby enough to go through with the delivery and bless that baby by giving the child to a couple that wants to love this baby. They will find there are loving couples who so want to have and love a child.

Christian homes are the salt of the earth. But if we stop producing salt, what will happen to our influence?

Matthew 5:13, 14 Salt and Light 13 "You are the salt of the earth……………
14 "You are the light of the world. …………

The desperate need of our culture demand godly homes which produce godly children. God will protect and care for your children. Ultimately they belong to Him anyway.

The most common objections couples toward having children are:

1. This is not the kind of world I want to bring a child into

Well we already talked about needing our children to be the salt and light for the world.

2. We can’t afford to have children right now.

Financially, most of us will never be ready to have kids. It is never financially convenient to have kids. If you wait until you are financially secure, most will never have any. What does it mean to be financially secure? That is never a guarantee because a disaster can strike anytime. The only security in the entire world is found in Jesus Christ. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for financial planning and most people don’t do enough of it. I think what people say is they can’t afford kids because it will lower their standard of living. When that happens, your life is being self-centered instead of having a God-centered life.
Couples are afraid they will lose their active life style and in their zeal to get every ounce of pleasure out of life, they are neglecting the long term benefits and satisfactions that come from having a family. You may miss some of the greatest blessing God has in store for you. Many times God uses our children to speak to us by what they say or do. Maybe you have to give up your dream or delay it to get that special car (you know what car I am talking about) but it is worth it. They will bring you more blessing than any material possession.

[b][size=2]Genesis 9:7 As for you, be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Point Man - Week #8

Very good lesson Jeremiah. I wish all people valued the children that they are blessed with. Abortion is one dark stain that America will never overcome until they see it for what it is, murder of our own offspring. The emotional toll that it has on the women who use it and the poor innocent babies whos lives are cut short before they take their first breath. I pray that more people will value the blessings of GOD. I too have 2 boys 24 and 21. They are a fine addition to this world and to the joy I have had in raising them. I was a single father and it was the best experience of my life. These boys will one day have their own children and no doubt, they will raise them in a Christian environment. Good reading and looking forward to next weeks lesson. GOD bless you all on this Memorial Day. GOD bless and protect our troops as they go about the business of this great country where ever they may serve in this world.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Point Man - Week #9

True character is revealed not by what a man does when people are watching but by what he does when nobody is around.

Point Man – Week #9 A Bible study on a man leading his family based on the Steve Farrar book.

Last week we talked about having children and how we, our children and Christian homes in general are the salt of the earth. But if we stop producing salt, what will happen to our influence?

This week we will talk about how to raise masculine sons and feminine daughters.

I. Fathers should raise their children in fairness.

If there is one verse in the Bible that talks about raising masculine sons and daughters it is:

Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

Ephesians 6:4 is the compass that enables a father to give his children correct guidance toward finding their sexual identities.

I have used the term compass in my posting regarding the Bible being my compass for my morals, value system, and spiritual direction for my life. Without the Bible, it is very difficult to have spiritual truth in your life because you have no reference plane so it very important to know truth so you can discern truth from evil. Sometimes evil disguises itself in partial truths and that is what makes it difficult to see the evil for what it is. As an example, look how many people fell for the false television evangelists over the last couple of decades. Not all are bad but many have been. Enough about that, just make sure that knowing the Bible (God’s truth) by reading it will give you the truth in your life.

With television and programming like MTV, our children see celebrities who distort the differences between male and female identities. The problem today is the tendency to stress the equality of men and women by minimizing the unique significance of maleness and femaleness. This is affecting our children, and a generation of young men and women who are still learning what it means to be a man or a woman. The negative outcome is more divorce, more homosexuality, and more sexual abuse, more promiscuity, more social awkwardness and even suicide and that is why it is such a big deal.

If we will function as the loving heads of our homes, respect, and love our wives, and follow the guidelines of Ephesians 6:4, our children will not grow up to be homosexuals.
Homosexuals are not born, they are made. They are bred because of some controlling contribution from parents and society. Don’t underestimate your role as a parent as models for the behavior of your children especially when they are young. If you are not sure as a parent what constitutes appropriate male and female behavior, your children will also be confused.

Many homosexuals were raised in Christian homes, but either the father was passive and the mother dominant, or the father was so harsh and brutal that the son was driven away.
He then identifies with the tenderness of the mother and then his compass for his life has just been misdirected.

The problem is that between TV and many different cultural messages it becomes very confusing as to what is the definition of a male or female or the proper behavior.

In the gender role development, the evidence points to fathers as having the more important influence, not only in fostering a male self-concept in boys, but in femininity in girls. Mothers do contribute to their daughters’ adoption of the feminine role, but have little influence on the masculinity of their sons. This is exactly why the enemy wants to pull the father out of the family, because when he does that, the family is destroyed. The family often runs amok and becomes dysfunctional.

[i]“Another part of the political agenda of the homosexual movement is the ability to teach homosexuality in public schools, the ability to get a license from the stat
Old 06-02-2007, 04:43 PM

Default RE: Point Man - Week #9

Thanks Jeremiah, this has made my day. I have raised both sons in just this manner. And now feel like the guidance of the Holy Spirit present throughout the years of their raising. GOD in our lives makes all the difference and its nice to see it in print for others to read and choose if its the way they would like to go. Thanks for your input in this weekly teaching.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Point Man

I am glad to hear God has been in your families lives all of these years. Things sure go a lot better when we are in God's graces.

Your grandchildren will be blessed by what you have done in raising your sons.

Have an awesome week.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Point Man – Week #9/Part 2 A Bible study on a man leading his family based on the Steve Farrar book.

Sorry I was out of town for 7 days so I am trying to catch up. A couple of weeks ago we talked talk about how to raise masculine sons and feminine daughters.
This week is part 2 about how to raise masculine sons and feminine daughters.

III. Fathers should raise their children with firmness.

Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

In Ephesians 6:4 it says children are to be raised in discipline and admonition (warning/guidance) of the Lord. Discipline can be described as training or punishment
guided by rules, regulations and rewards, and when necessary punishment. Admonition is training by means of the spoken word such as in teaching, warning, or encouragement.

The purpose of discipline and admonition (from parents and God) is to help the child grow. Children need to know what the limitations are. They need fathers who love them enough to set boundaries and keep them. Children need fathers who are in control of the family instead of the children being in control of the family. Can you imagine how chaotic an NFL foot ball game would be without referees and all of the arguing and fighting that would take place? If a football player argues or does something illegal, he is penalized. The same thing applies to the family.

Example: Imagine a fish bowl with a little fish swimming around. Do you think this fish has much freedom? Now imagine removing this fish from the bowl and setting it on the table. The fish has freedom but will not survive in that freedom. Just as God sets boundaries for us we must set them for our children to keep them safe.

A father’s task is multi-faceted, but the most important part of his work is to fit himself and his children into God’s plan of family authority. Children are to be encouraged by the father’s pat on the back and helped to better things when necessary by the application of the hand or stick to the seat of learning. Spanking is one method but whatever is called for must be used. To refuse to discipline a child is to refuse a clear demand of God, for a child who doesn’t learn to obey both parents will find it much harder to learn to obey God. I had one son who just using spoken words was enough to discipline him while the other sometimes needed spanking but whatever discipline is called for, it must be done.

As the father, you set the standards, enforce the standards, model the standards and appropriately discipline when the standards are violated. This does not mean your wife does not discipline but you are the main disciplinarian because of the above reasons.
Although you take the lead in disciplining the children, make sure you never undermine the discipline that takes in your absence. You are a team. The children should never see that you are in disagreement of the discipline and should be discussed without their observation. Seeing you support your wife’s discipline will make them respect your wife. When they see that you respect her decision about discipline, they will respect her as well and your support will relieve her of undue pressure. Some parents have a problem with this but at this age verbal discipline such as “NO! NO!” should be done even a child is just a just after a few months old.

Some men are too firm and not tender enough and some are too tender and not firm enough. Fathers need to be balanced and be firm at times and flexible and tender at other times. Let the wisdom of God help you with that and seek His guidance. Ephesians 6:4 instructs us to be ready to do one or the other at the appropriate time but remember you are the spiritual leader of the househo
Old 06-25-2007, 03:01 AM

Definetly a must read for any man or boy who wants to know his role in life. Nothing but good positive interaction when equiped with this kind of information. Its all good and with fewer and fewer role models we need to read it to have a clear direction. TV and other media has muddied the water of clear common sense. We take alot for granted these days and its nice to re-evaluate our roles in life. Like a battery recharge of what our Fathers and Mothers taught us. Thanks again for the read.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the input and I am glad you appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Point Man - Week #10 "Telling your kids what you don't want to tell them"

Point Man – Week #10/Part 2 A Bible study on a man leading his family based on the Steve Farrar book.

Well I hope everybody had a great July 4th and got some much needed rest. Last week we finished discussing part 2 “about how to raise masculine sons and feminine daughters”. This week we will discuss “Telling your kids what you don’t want to tell them”. This is our 2nd to the last lesson in this book. If you have some suggestion on what you would like to further study please pray about it and let me know.

So lets start off bold. When it comes to teaching your kids about sex, you need to be the instructor. Yes, this means you teach them everything about the fundamentals of sexuality and how everything works. We need to make sure they learn it from their parents and not from the rest of the world which most of the time is wrong. That does not mean you have to teach them everything all at once. I remember my wife and I were having to go to a children’s book store because discussions of a sexual nature were going on in their elementary school and we wanted to make sure our kids heard it right the first time and from us. I also know in different parts of the country they not only show sexuality films but they also allow people to come in and teach alternative life styles. They have also shown girls how to put on condoms on guys by practicing putting it on the guys’ finger in class. It certainly is up to us as parents to not only teach our kids about sexuality but make a stand for what gets allowed to be taught in our schools. Homosexuality is being taught as well as Planned Parenthood teaching outercourse, over-the-counter methods, periodic abstinence (also known as fertility awareness-based methods, withdrawal, and continuous breast feeding). Those are things that I did not want my kids being taught.
This is for children but also for adults. We need to understand and teach that sex is a gift from God to be used for procreation and for enjoyment and intimacy between a married couple. Since this is a gift from God, we are not to be ashamed to discuss with our children what God has given us. I think the main reason why many couples don’t teach sex is because their parents did not teach them. We need to break that generational gap with us as the parents and teachers of our children. A father is responsible to teach his children about sex, but as a rule, the fathers should teach their sons and mothers should teach their daughters. The father, as head of his household, should make sure that the proper instruction at the appropriate time by the appropriate parent should be done.

Let’s learn a little wisdom from Proverbs which is considered wisdom literature in the Bible.

Proverbs 5:1-23
A Warning Against Committing Adultery

1 My son, pay attention to my wisdom.
Listen carefully to my wise sayings.
2 Then you will continue to have good sense.
Your lips will keep on speaking words of knowledge.
3 A woman who commits adultery has lips that drip honey.
What she says is smoother than oil.
4 But in the end she is like bitter poison.
She cuts like a sword that has two edges.
5 Her feet go down to death.
Her steps lead straight to the grave.
6 She doesn't give any thought to her way of life.
Her paths are crooked, but she doesn't realize it.

In verses, 1-6 King Solomon teaches his son about the kind of woman that will seek to bring him down.

[b] 7 My sons, listen to me.
Don't turn away from what I say.
8 Stay on a path far away from that evil woman.
Don't even go near the door of her house.
9 If you do, you will give your best strength to others.
You will give the best years of your life to someo

Quick Reply: Point Man