Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

A question of censorship

Old 06-03-2007, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question of censorship

I realize a lot of people will not agree with this thread and I now wonder if it won't be deleted -- the first time I've ever wondered about such a thing on this board.

On Thursday, a member -- a regular contributor -- apparently felt secure enough among us, his Internet "friends," to pose a personal question about what some people may consider a taboo subject. In short, he asked if, since his wife and his girlfriend both were out of town and he had the opportunity to go out with a "model"," would it be cool to ask the aforementioned "model" for an ID to see if she indeed was at least 18 years old.

When I read his thread, three responses had been made: one from a "$$contributing member$$" (whatever that means -- does the board need money? I'll be glad to kick in $100 immediately, if someone tells me where to do it) who basically said he had been sickened by the question and decried the questioner's commitment (or lack thereof) to his marriage vows; one from a contributor who simply said it didn't sound as though the questioner should be married; and a third from someone who basically said, "Go for it, dude. She's hot." My own response -- probably more in keeping with the spirit of the board -- in short was: With three women, how could you afford a new Challenger?

After work Friday, I checked the board. The thread was missing. I assumed this to be some sort of glitch.

Today (from my standpoint, Saturday night, although it's 3:28 a.m. Sunday -- one of the joys of working nights is that till you go to sleep, a day doesn't end), the thread is still missing.

Obviously it's been deleted.

Excuse me, but isn't this the "Off Topic" section? That's where the questioner's original thread was posted. In this very section, there are numerous threads about religion and politics, which -- apparently no matter how extreme -- are acceptable. However, the question about dating young Ms. Hotty gets deleted. Why? I don't see any prohibitions against particular topics on the listing for the section. Is it because someone is imposing his or her own view of morality?

----------

Normally, I don't believe in discussing religion or politics in public -- which is why I virtually never contribute to any of these threads. But since we're on the topic, I'll go ahead and give you my views.

Religion: It's my view that NO ONE can possibly know FOR SURE what comes after death until he or she dies, so why spend a lot of time worrying about it? However, if you want to believe the Christian God, Muslim Allah or a Fossilized Tree Stump is the power behind all creation, it's your right to do so.

Politics: The last time I voted was in 1984, which was the second time I voted for Ronald Reagan. Since then, I haven't considered anyone who has run for president worth wasting my time going to vote for. However, I encourage all of you as Americans to exercise your right to vote -- as each of you sees fit.

The war in Iraq: Do I support our troops? Of course. Do I support the war? No -- I believe it's Vietnam all over again and I fear countless American lives are being wasted. I especially feel sorry for the GIs who post here who, hopefully, will be able to get home eventually and buy Challengers.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A question of censorship

I replied to that thread and remember the question a little differently. But it is the off topic section and I really did'nt see any point to the question. Did it need to be deleted? I don't think so even if it was more of a brag than an honest question. As far as your veiws on politics and religion that is your own choice on wether to discuss or not. I'm comfortable with my views and I keep personal attacks on the individual out of the discussion. You can talk about these passionate subjects, but you have to respect the others opinion. I just thought the thread you are talking about was an attept at showing the others on this site how his conquest was rated in their eyes. Some people need attention and this is one way to get it. I'm a devout Christian and I am proud to be part of the Christian family. My morals are now a part of who I am. I cannot be seperated from who I am. The Holy Spirit dwells within me and I cannot be divided from what I am. My faith is formost in my life and it affects how I approch every aspect of my life. But I am aware that others are not of faith or a different faith and I respect that is their right. I would not impose my beliefs upon them, but by the same token I have the freedom of religion or my own beliefs. Now we share a common interest in cars and that is always a good thing.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Just remember this the Army is 100 % voluntary.. If they didnt want to fight for the country then why join? They joined because they love the country and will put their life on the line to defend it and the lives of you and me.. The last statement being most important, defending the lives of you and me considering it is better the war is there than here.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

There are things that are allowed and not allowed on this forum and that was not allowed. Being the fact, I did not read the post, but I know for a fact that it would not have been deleted without good reason. The Administrator made that choice and believe me he has lots of experience. Also, there are laws on what is allowed and what isn't allowed. If this broke the rules, I believe we could get into trouble. I believe there are rules somewhere about this stuff, let me see if I can give you the list.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM

From what I could tell, the person who started the topic seemed to be doing it for no other reason than to piss people off being that he's made rude posts before. I don't necessarily agree with deleting it though. . . I prefer locking. It's annoying to return to a topic you posted in to see that it's gone and you can't even see if anyone responded to you.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

It's annoying to return to a topic you posted in to see that it's gone and you can't even see if anyone responded to you.
I think it is more important to not air our dirty laundry to the rest of the world which affects a lot of people than being annoyed which affects just the 1 person.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 PM

Thank you for the explanation RLSH700. Admittedly, I'm more familiar with laws concerning what's OK in newspapers than on Internet, but from what I saw of the post -- aside from being in questionable taste and probably more of a "Hey -- look at this chick!" type of thing than someone truly concerned with Ms. Hotty's age -- I didn't see anything that would make it illegal.

I did get to thinking later that maybe it was removed because her picture was attached and -- while the photo definitely was not obscene -- probably was posted without her permission. I suppose this could lead to invasion of privacy issues. If this was the case, maybe the photo alone should have been removed.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:57 PM

"I think it is more important to not air our dirty laundry to the rest of the world which affects a lot of people than being annoyed which affects just the 1 person."

Well to be fair it's his choice if he wants the world to know he likes cheating on his wives/girlfriends. However, for the reason posted by roswellgrey, that the girl's photo was posted without her permission, I can understand deleting it.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

"I think it is more important to not air our dirty laundry to the rest of the world which affects a lot of people than being annoyed which affects just the 1 person."

Well to be fair it's his choice if he wants the world to know he likes cheating on his wives/girlfriends. However, for the reason posted by roswellgrey, that the girl's photo was posted without her permission, I can understand deleting it.
Here is a list of the rules. https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_12882/tm.htm

13. Moderators and Administrators have final word in anything and everything. If you have a problem or a complaint direct it to them, not to the general forums. They will then take the appropriate actions. This applies to issues with the forum in general, as well as issues with other members.
I'm sorry but when a decision is made by one of us on that, especially when the Administrator makes the decision, that decision is pretty much final.

RoswellGrey, your welcome. To be perfectly honest, I don't know all of them by heart either. The Administrator found it necessary to delete the whole topic and considering how many websites he deals with, I would say we should trust his experience. Also something to think about, sometimes you have to take an extra step just to get the message across to someone who is breaking the rules. If the photo was only deleted, it would be extremely easy to simply reload it, but to revive a topic takes more effort.

In general, we are having trouble with certain people (I'm not going to name names) being unfriendly to other members, even being unfriendly and picking on one of our moderators. This needs to stop. In order to maintain a friendly environment, we need to try to be friendly and not get personal in our discussions. Debating is perfectly fine, I enjoy a good debate, but keep out personal attacks and please avoid spelling out vulgar language. One of the many reasons why we need a friendly environment is that this should be fun for our members by being able to discuss and debate their ideas, without being attacked. Sites that are not friendly get old very, very fast, we have even picked up members from other sites because they wanted the friendly environment that we have over the constant personal attacks that other sites have. So please remember to keep your posts friendly as possible.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree and thankyou for the explanation on the reasons the thread was deleted. I have found this site to be extremely friendly and a joy to surf. Surfs up boys.

Quick Reply: A question of censorship