Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

What determines how we perceive different types of music?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What determines how we perceive different types of music?

Hi

Music can bring out such strong and mixed emotions from every listener. A listener also appreciates certain music over other. A listener will find some music to be horribly and some music to be great. What determines a listener to perceived a piece of music to be a great work of art? What determines a listener to perceive a piece of music to have no beauty?

It seems music has to be structured right in order for a listener to appreciate it. A music with wrong structure, whether is be bad rhythm or bad placement of noted, becomes a burden to listen to. What in our minds determines the structure that music has to have in order to to be appreciated? Please explain why.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Music for the most part is youth driven. For example I grew up in the early to mid 70's. I listened rock, now commonly refered to as "classic rock". Am radio rock, lite rock and of course the standard barriers of classic rock today. My life centered around music. rock concerts, etc. Tell me the name of the group and I can tell you how many times & which tours I saw them. So I obviously like the 70's and I transitioned quite nicely to the 80's as well. But I hit a brick wall musicly speaking when 1990 rolled around. In 1993 a then unknown group bythe name of Nirvana turned my music world upside down. Suddenly heavy metal groups like Van Halen, Def Leppard, Night Ranger, etc became yesterdays news as "slacker rock (alternative) became the new thing musically. The groups started having strange names that I couldn't relate such as Screaming Trees, Smashing Pumpkins, Puddle of Mudd, Hootie & the BlowfisH, etc. I keep hoping a new popular music group will come along that both I and my kids can get into together but it hasn't happened yet. Came close with Coldplay. Thank God for Trance Music, rave's & European dance club mixes. Its faster then jazz and no where near as loud as hip hop & rap. I do weep for the futre generations of music lovers because after experiencing the very best of the 70's & 80's first hand I can honestly say todays kids will never know what its like to truly "R O C K".
To sum up the music you listen to primarily is the music you grew up with. I don't like any of what passes today for rock music. Yes there can be exceptions to the rule on this for me its The Doors 60's band, Jim Morrison, for some reason his music still sounds fresh after all these years. I think its sad what passes for good music today but I'm sure there are some people out there who are still hoping for a "do wop" (Sha Na Na) come back!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^ dude that just totally dated yourself .... ya old fart hahahaha, but I get what you are saying, I was raised on the Beachboys, Kenny Rogers, ABBA, and few other golden oldies, but I'm a mix of old classic Rock, ACDC, White Snake, Def Leopard etc etc, todays rock has some decent bands that I like, but I'm rock over dance and hip hop.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arrow

Yeah my friends give a lot of grief about my musical likes & dislikes but hey, I call it like I see it. Here's the thing that gets me, when I was growing I remember my parents generation giving me grief about what I and my friends were listening to, namely popular music of our youth growing up. They didn't understand it, certainly didn't like it, said it was too loud, etc. In fact we (my friends and I) had a saying back then that stated; "if the music is too loud, then you're too old". This group I'm referring to came of age in the 30's & 40's so they liked Ole blue eyes himself, Frank Sinatra, and numerous similar artists of that time period so you can see their perspective musicly speaking. I swore that when I grew up I wasn't going to become another pissed off, opinionated know it all old fart. Well life has a way of making you become the person you swore you'd never want to be. I find the whole thing "ironic" myself. So I make sure the CD changer is always full, I have my iPOD at the ready and when I do choose to listen to the radio its, Sirus/XM. Thankfully our Challengers come with 1yr free subscription service with Sirus/XM & a iPOD hook up. Sorry for the long post but you raised a really good question that's close to me personally. Again I don't mean to offend you or anybody else on this issue.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^ haha well said, music is music, it's a form of expression by an artist, even the stuff I can't stand, but there will always be impressionable minds that will follow any sound of song.

I love the swing bands, Sinatra, etc etc but I listen to all genre's and music types, I tend to stay away from the really heavy metal, the stuff that sounds like someone is dry heiving into the mic, and I don't even bother with the hard core gangsta rap.

and no offense, I hope my "old fart' comment didn't come too strong, it was meant for a humorous touch.

Last edited by canadiancanuck; 01-23-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I can honestly tell you, as a sixteen year old, I completely agree with you guys. Rap and hip hop just don't have the good ol' fashion kick a.. sound that rock does. Of course i grew up in a house where your brother had every Rush CD ever made and the only casette tape that was in the Cuda was a Van Halen tape, it sticks with you. Now, granted i can groove to Hip Hop, cRap and whatnot. It's only good for that. Dancing. I'm just we have bands like Journey and Rush that still tour after all this time. I have a couple Alternative Rock CD's. And that comprises about 10% of my Computers library of anything from Huey Lewis to Van Halen to Joe Satriani. I personally believe that it's all about what you grew up on. Or if you hated your parents. Cause i bet that half the teens out there that listen to Rap hate mom and dad cause their music is "annoying" or "too old". But that's the bias in me talking.

Besides, you can't roll up in a muscle car blastin' Kanye West or what ever crap artist is big nowadays. It's just not right.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

^ hahaha cmon' a little Brittany Spears blaring out of Challenger wouldn't make you look like a fruit at all hahah, might as well be NKOB, Hangin' Tough, that's oldschool thuglife music!!! hahahaha