Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Old 02-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

ORIGINAL: Albeeno
I'm willing to bet my downpayment that there's an Albeeno voo-doo doll dressed in a #12 Tom Brady jersey with a 1/18 scale replica 2005 Mustang GT next to it, somewhere in Boot Camp's house...
Hey BootCamp... I swear I wasn't the one that told Albeeno... really I didn't...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM

Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Ok, here's what I'm hearing, the SRT-8 will smoke the GT, the SRT-8 this- the SRT-8 that. From what they are showing, the SRT-8 is only slightly faster then the GT. I'm not trying to compare these two to each other, but I did throw it in to say that with that much more power it can't really beat it hands down. By the books I believe the GT is 4.9 and the Challenger is low 5s. Go by the books and the GT can out run the SRT-8. These two shouldn't be in the same category. Now I'll wait to see the official numbers to make a basis off of that, but off of those numbers the GT can keep up with the top of the line model Challenger. Again, I have to see reality tests, not book numbers.

What I'm really trying to compare this to is the R/T. That should be the competition for the GT, but if the numbers show that the SRT-8 has trouble beating the Mustang, then what is a car with a lot less horsepower going to do?

Now what I was saying earlier is bragging rights. Just because you have it doesn't mean that you should be racing at stop light to stop light, but it does mean that you can take it to the strip and drag. See, when it's N/A then that's what I mean by bragging rights and what comes out of the box. Anyone can throw things on a car and make it more powerful, but when you come out and say that my straigh N/A engine can beat your N/A engine, or even supercharged, that is when you have bragging rights.

As for the light to light racing, no, I don't believe in that. I think it's stupid these days and that it shouldn't be done unless you live in Dukes of Hazard county and you out run cops for fun. You can take that to the track and do that. What I want is a car that can keep up with the Mustang and this is why, I like the fact that when I get on that highway that I can get my butt moving so that I don't get ran over with the short on ramps that they have. If I go slower that means that is less time for me to get out of the way or to get up to speed. And, of course I like the occasional "race" on the on ramp to get on the highway when the light signals are flashing even if the traffic isn't that bad.

Lastly, axel ratio. I can get, and have, the GT with the 3.55 axel ratio, up from the 3.31 while the Challenger has a 3.06. Now I'm not good in this area, but someone can explain to me why there is a 3.06 on a muscle car. Save gas? Automatic? Really, save gas in a muscle car. I'm confused at the direction that they are going with this car to tell you the truth. I'm just mixed up.

As for seeing Mustangs all over. Please, come to my state. You won't see many sports cars at all no matter what they are. lol.

Overall though I still stand behind what I said. If they make the interior different and this car actually does keep pace with the Mustang, I'll take it. But I have a hard time swallowing the extra money just for the body of the car. Just me.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Beyond comparing just the SRT and R/T to the mustang GT, think about this:

26,080 - Mustang GT base price
26,360 - Charger SXT base price

If they keep the bells and whistles of the SXT model charger on the challenger the V6 could well be more than a mustang gt. If they make it more like the SE it could go as low as 23k. The R/T and SRT at least give you more HP for the money. But paying MORE money for less power? Granted I'm getting it regardless, but they really need to keep the price of the V6 down.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM

I thought the SRT is a 4.9 second car, and the GT is 5.1 seconds.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Let's wait for the test drives from the magazines to tell us about the performance. Sounds like a bunch of noise on the chicken farm.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM

concept is right the gt is 5.1 and the chally is estimated 4.9( might be lower). so i dont know where you got 4.9 from for the gt. yes axel i agree they are similar in performance but the srt8is faster and is a more performance oriented version of the r/t with the 6.1 in it just as the gt500 is the upgrade from the gt ( well in fords case roush stage 1 2 3 6748588 saleen bullitect ect lol jk) so to say oh the srt 8 is comparable to the gt is great but u can also say the gt is comparable to the gt500 because its only .5 slower in 0-60 and the r/t challenger with the srt8 theres only a .5 difference. you compare by the levels of performance. you should be starting this argument against the r/ts when they come out and the numbers come out.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM

The saving of gas with low numerical gear ratios is that while cruising (highway speeds) the engine will be turning fewer RPMs than with a higher numerical gearset thereby the potential of better MPG.

The lower numerical gearset will get to a higher top speed (if there is enough power/torque based on the aerodynamics) with the consequence of acceleration. The higher the numerical a gearset is, the quicker it can accelerate (if you can actually hook up to the ground). Watch monster trucks with extremely high overall numerical gear ratios will accelerate from 0-60 in 2 seconds (guess)? but thats probably their top speed too.

Let's see how the SRT-8 really performs in real tests not on paper. Tests need to include more than a drag race to 60 or a 1/4 mile - this is the "New Challenger" that can also stop and turn which wasn't a major goal or achievement with muscle cars in general in the 70s.

0 to 100 to 0 for acceleration & decelleration combined
Skidpad for turning Gs
Autocross type track for times, ease of driving, consistency, etc.
Big oval or superspeedway to open her up - let's see if she'll really run 170 MPH

I have driven my brother's Viper many times and although it is an awesome machine, it is really only fast in the hands of a competent driver and can be deadly in the hands of inexperience or cockiness.

Eric
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 AM

And see, that's what I keep saying, there should be really no comparison of the SRT-8 to the GT. It should be apples to apples. Mustang against Challenger SE, Mustang GT against Challenger R/T and Mustang 5th generation xft supercharged Shelby/Cobra/Salene/Gone in 60 Seconds with Bullit in the background against Challenger SRT-8. Really don't know what to compare the SRT-8 to in the Mustang line after the GT to be honest because there are so many dang versions.

Again, only paper to paper comparisons, not real world tests, here's where I got the 4.9 for the Mustang GT:

http://www.i-ford.com/images/2007%20Mustang.pdf

Page 2.

I'm not able to find 0-60 times on the Dodge website for the Challenger and of course there is no brochure on the vehicle yet. I've seen many websites that say this or that, usually low 5, but nothing from the offical website, at least that I can find.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:29 AM

axel redletter dodge.com has the spec with numbers o ntheir site, but thats also not real world numbers.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

ORIGINAL: Albeeno
I'm willing to bet my downpayment that there's an Albeeno voo-doo doll dressed in a #12 Tom Brady jersey with a 1/18 scale replica 2005 Mustang GT next to it, somewhere in Boot Camp's house...
Hey BootCamp... I swear I wasn't the one that told Albeeno... really I didn't...
LMAO! Sorry, but Albeeno lost that bet too.
My step-son (13 year old) is the Pats fan in the house, but he's a "fair weather fan", doesn't own any Pat's memoribilia or gear, and only talks about them at the beginning of the season. Then he loses interest.
The only "little cars" I have are a few 1/24th scale Action #9 Kasey Kahne Dodge Chargers, and a 1/18th scale Highway 61 Dodge Challenger Concept car in Hemi Orange.
I hope the "downpayment" Albeeno bet wasn't too substantial.

ORIGINAL: Axel
I work hard for my money and I love the muscle cars even though I wasn't around, but I thought this was going to be a war like in the old days and that performance and styling was going to be a factor. Seems price and flash is what Chrysler is going for these days. Sell what you can so we, the new company, can get rid of this Chrysler to a foreign operator.
Honestly, Bud, when have you ever seen the most intense fighting in a "war" occur in the opening volleys? There will be three sides to this "war" and it hasn't even really started yet. It's all "posturing" right now. The production Challenger isn't on the road yet, and the Camaro isn't in pre-production either. Right now, there's only one fighter wondering where the opposition is.
This is going to be a "short term war", the terms of which will be dictated - like all others - by the government. I really think you'll see three to four years of "go for it all" from the big three before the government regulations squash the conflict (in the scale that involves what we'll look fondly back on as the "final muscle car wars") and leave the "tuners" to ultimately pick up our swords in future battles. I think the next three or four years will be the last gasp for V8's and after that, we'll have a rash of new cars coming out with I4's and V6's, sporting little blowers & turbos for those still interested in dueling for bragging rights.
That'll be like parking tanks in favor of fighting with knives and pistols, but I think that's where we're headed, and that soon.

Quick Reply: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8