Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Concept vs. Production?

Old 05-01-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Concept vs. Production?

I agree no carbon fiber. Also no neon rear lighting and the instrument cluster will not have the data aquisition telemetry of the concept. Other than these I really think they will stay very close to the concept for the production version.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 AM

agree I would like the Concept as is but would prefer a 6.4L engine.

I dont' want this to happen, but what I think will happen is:

1. They will change the size of the wheels to be smaller instead of 22'.

2. I think we will loose the hood scoops.

3. The wheel style will be different.

4. Door handles will be different

6. I think we will loose the carbon fiber strips and will be the more traditional black stripes.

7. The fancy rear lighting system.

8. Front LED six shooter lighting system to a more traditional lighting system.

9. They will put a gas cap on this one. LOL!
yes i agree that the wheels will go, i for 1 am ok with that. 22s on a muscle car??? too big and too heavy, give me some 17s with some meat and ill be ok. hood scoops stay, no carbon fiber and a gas cap. the rest probally not.

the other thing, like everybody else said under 40k??? how about under 30k. i will say this if it is not priced near the mustang and or camaro it will not survive more that a few years. i dont want o hear competivily priced, i heard that about the ram srt-10. it needs to be in that range. sorry but ive been a bit bitter with dcx even since the whole srt-10 thing. way too expensive and they could have done the same thing with a hemi v8 and maybe a super charger, had a truck just as fast but much cheaper. although it seems all the Srt vehicles, not including the ricey neon, are very expensive.if theres an srt challenge expect it to be near or a bit over 40k. an R/T hopefully around 27, ideally. it needs to ba affordable or most, other than hardcore mopar fans with money, will look to the camaro and mustang. just for the record also, i believe they will screw up the pricing for the camaro also, it will be too expensive. so if that happens these cars will die early deaths as niche vehicles. hopefully this does not happen, but that what i think now. that said i will be owning one of them, probally challenger.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 AM

Its not like the Mustang is cheap. Now, Im not a life long muscle car guy by any means. I currently own 3 Subaru's and a VW for god's sake. So maybe my idea of a good deal is a bit skewed. But when I bought my Subaru STi, I got it brand new for 31k out the door. I recently went to a local Ford dealership, and asked to check out the Mustang GT. After being told that I could, under no circumstances, drive the car (which seemed like a strange first comment) I was next told that the USED car up front was marked at 30K. I almost laughed. Then to see all the new GT's sitting there with 35k price tags on them, I was more than a little put off by the pricing of the Mustang. Now, I would easily pay 35k for a Challenger R/T. As long as said Challenger R/T comes with at least 17" wheels (would like 18"s at least as an option) and at a bare minimum the 5.7L HEMI. Id rather the R/T got the 6.1L and the SRT got a 6.4L but that might be asking too much. I just hope that Dodge doesn't decide to offer up a car that convinces me that I've made a mistake by thinking about coming back to American vehicles.

If its as fast as my STi was when I bought it that would be nice too. Not like the Mustang, which disappointed me when I finally convinced them to let me drive it...
Old 05-31-2006, 05:39 AM

The carbon fiber body definitely won't be a production item, and the telemetry computer in the dash probably won't make it either. As long as they keep the style the same, with a performance engine of 6.1L minimum, and the 6-speed manual tranny, I'd be happy. And they need to do it for under 40K.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

How faithful do you think Dodge will prove their production car to the concept version?

I was looking at some posts over on the Allpar site & I cannot believe how WHINY some of these guys sound. They have an open letter thanking the lead designer & then go on to rattle off 50 changes they think would make it better. I want chrome, I want different guages, blah, blah, blah. I am not an expert but if they rolled this concept off the line AS IS then I am raiding the piggy bank to go get one. Don't change a thing.

My suggestion if folks want all this other stuff is to go nuts with aftermarket goodies.
No kidding! I like the info they have, even though it does have some flaws, such as they claimed orginally that the HEMI would be a 353 cu. in. instead of a 345 cu. in. They claimed that the output would be around 353 hp & 393 ft-lbs. They were way off.

The thing they do that ticks me off is they are hardly objective. They post their beliefs on non-car issues such as politics on the front page way too often. One member wrote an article encouraging people to give people who had full-sized cars as well as SUV owners, a hard time because they have "gas guzzlers." So in other words, this arrogant prat doesn't like our right to have cars like the Challenger because did doesn't get good gas mileage. I think that guy should get a life and quit judging people because of what they drive.

I think it is going to look very similar to the pictures. A salesman I talked to claimed he heard that they placed a classic Challenger next to the new one to make sure it look as close as possible to the original. I believe what he said because this guy was an honest salesman. He made reference to the 2.7L V6 Oil Sludge problem. How many salesmen are going to bad mouth an engine in around 4 of their cars? He knew the cars about as good as I did.

The only difference I want is I want them to make a strip down model for those of us who are not rich.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

So here is a good side by side view of old vs new.

Here is another one. Some how the convertible look just does not do it for me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/AC4C6EA7EBA34A53A0F29AD4D10357FD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/B605DB7EF6B14CA9BEB4DCBBF6E3D1FC.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:08 PM

Well, the Challenger hasn't even gotten the green light for production yet. I hope it DOES go into production! I'll buy one if the price isn't rediculous.
BUT...
IF it does, I doubt you'll see ANY carbon fiber on it. That was just for the prototype.
I think the hood will remain as it is on the prototype - working butterflies and all.
I also think they'll put the same 18" wheels/tires on the Challenger that are on the Charger, with options for other rubber.
I also doubt you'll see anything bigger than a 6.1L Hemi. Look at how many SRT8 Chargers are on ebay. The dealers can't get rid of them and they're priced at $42K on average. Sharp car, for sure. In NY (definately) and CA (I believe), you get a $2100.00 Gas Guzzler Tax added to the sticker on the 6.1L Hemi. Maybe that's part of the reason the SRT8's are sitting at the dealerships. Maybe part of the reason is they're a bit overpriced. Maybe Dodge will offer an "incentive" on the SRT8's like they're doing with a lot of the trucks that aren't moving off of the lots. We'll see.
I'd like to see tail lights like those on the 1970 Challenger, instead of the Buick Somerset "bar across the back" rear light treatment.
One thing I can do without are the color options on the '70's Mopars. PLEASE, don't offer me purple, electric lime green, orange-orange or tomato red as the only colors I can get one in!

Look what Ford did with the Shelby GT350 Mustang. It's supercharged, and in the Mustang's second year of re-release. They made sure the consumer response was there before diving deeper into the pool. Now they've committed to making it, and priced it in the low $40K's. What's driving the price up is demand....."How much OVER sticker are you willing to pay to get one of a limited number of Shelby's"? They're selling them on ebay by auctioning orders (dealer rights to get them based on sales numbers).
I can imagine DCX looking at a "SuperBird" or "SuperBee" version for the second year of production, but not much in the first year. They'll need to get the thing through production smoothly before pounding out multiple levels of performance packages. Once they get all of the production issues resolved, you MAY see something similar happen if there's a release of a "SuperBird" or "SuperBee" edition.

I got an R/T for my wife a couple of months back, and we're very happy with it. It has the 5.7L Hemi and if I need it to go faster, I can play with the computer programming/chips, add a supercharger or NOS system, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for DCX to offer anything bigger than the 6.1. There's already a ton of aftermarket enhancements available for the Charger. I imagine the same for the Challenger.
I just HOPE they actually produce the Challenger. I haven't been this psyched about getting a new car in 25 years!
Make mine a 6.1L, 6 speed manual, in dark grey metalflake, with a sunroof, 6 CD changer/player Boston Acoustic sound system, Borla CatBack exhaust, power windows, door locks, power/heated leather seats, AC, anti-theft system .......and maybe add a Road & Track handling package, similar to what's available on the Charger R/T ........ and I PROMISE NOT to ask Santa Claus for anything else (UNTIL the SuperBee comes out)!
Old 06-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Well, the 6.4L was shown at the SEMA show so you never know if it will be available for the Challenger.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Horhay

Its not like the Mustang is cheap.... I was next told that the USED car up front was marked at 30K. I almost laughed. Then to see all the new GT's sitting there with 35k price tags on them, I was more than a little put off by the pricing of the Mustang.
This had to have been when the 2005 mustang first came out and dealers were tacking on their "upcharge". Here in Texas, a new loaded GT typically sells for 25-28K. Nowhere near the 35K you are quoting. That's just absurd. Maybe in Dover, Delaware Dealers think they can charge more and get away with it because people are willing to pay it?!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:45 PM

Hey, Bud.....I HOPE you're right and they DO offer a 6.4L!
Like I said, I'm in NY and if I have to pay a $2100.00 gas guzzler tax for the 6.1L, why not get the 6.4 and get more "gas guzzling" for my tax money? I guess we don't pay enough taxes at the pump up here already.....they get us at the dealership too! BASTAGES!!
[:@]

Quick Reply: Concept vs. Production?