Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

did anyone see/post this?

Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did anyone see/post this?

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...1/TOC01ARCHIVE

a rwd V8 for low 30s? i can deal with that
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Default RE: did anyone see/post this?

Read it last night. Seems a bit contradictory to me though. Claims a production run of only 20,000-30,000 cars. If that's true I find it unlikely that the price point is in the low 30's. I'm no expert on production levels but seems to me the formula is low numbers equals higher price.

Anyone concur?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Administrator

not always..the srt4 was supposed to be a very limited production and low cost...also, if it doesnt have the 6.1L, but another V8, it would bring the price down quite a bit.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

1 Bad Mirada - FYI I try to keep these under the Post called "Latest Articles on the Challenger"

My preference is I usually like to copy and past the article of course I know the article is sometimes too long. If anybody complains
I could shorten some of the longer ones.

I had posted this one last night with my comments:

Jeremiah 29:11
I really find that price range hard to believe!

Chrysler to decide whether to build Challenger by fall, report says

By BRADFORD WERNLE | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 06/19/06, 7:52 am et

The Chrysler group may decide whether to make the Challenger muscle car as early as the end of the third quarter, CEO Tom LaSorda says.

LaSorda on Friday said Chrysler has been flooded with positive responses to the Challenger concept, shown at the Detroit auto show in January.

"You have to look at the investment, the cost of the program and the margins you can make," he told Automotive News at Chrysler's Auburn Hills, Mich., headquarters. "With something like this, you chase the business case and not the volume."

Chrysler officials have said the Challenger will likely be a lower-volume car with a V-8 engine. It would be built on the same platform as the Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum and Dodge Charger cars. John Wolkonowicz, an analyst for Global Insight, predicts Chrysler will make 20,000 to 30,000 and sell them in the low-$30,000 range.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:34 PM

Interesting to examine Lasorda's remarks in the article. Makes reference to margins versus volume. Sneaking suspicion that if he gets his way then perhaps the 1st year or two of the Challenger is limited to a higher end model only. The excitement generated by this great car is probably making them salivate on how much they can extract from us. Personally I have been driving a (paid for) beat up '97 F150 and saving all my pennies for this.

I certainly hope they opt to offer the Challenger with a few options eventually and (in my opinion) if the car is produced on the same platform as the Charger then I do not think that it is a stretch to think you could see a 3.5L V-6, a 5.7L V-8, and a 6.1L V-8. The Charger SRT has an MSRP of about $38k but even if the MSRP for the Challenger came in close to that I expect the excitement to drive the price at the dealer to mid $40's at least for a 6.1L Challenger.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

I really have a hard time believing the very low price and the low quantity this guy is talking about.

I can believe the quantities if the price is in the $40K range.

"John Wolkonowicz, an analyst for Global Insight, predicts Chrysler will make 20,000 to 30,000 and sell them in the low-$30,000 range."

I also question the remark about having a business case vs. volume.........if the volume is there over many years and you are making a profit.....case close...build it.

Kinda like who cares about expenses if your profits are high and sales is coming it............but if your profits and sales are down of course they will lower expenses.

Same thing if you can make a profit and the volume is there over several years then build it!

I have been hearing the same thing over and over for months basically "With something like this, you chase the business case and not the volume." which sounds like a
recording from the marketing team and they are all sharing the same recording.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is possible. Did you notice the mention at the bottom of the page that Chrysler is considering a new V6. I would rather them make some updates to their current, very reliable line they currently have (except for the 2.7L). I'm afraid they'll use another Korean engine as their base. I saw the original that Jeremiah listed.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-22-2006, 09:29 AM

These prices are more right everyday

V6 (250hp) - $25,000

5.7 Hemi (350hp) - $35,000

6.1 Hemi (425hp) - $42,500

6.4 Hemi (500hp) - $50,000

The cost of the Challenger is going to definately be more than we want. It is just how life is.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Administrator

its completely moronic...but it may be the case.

for the cost of the base model challenger based on that pricing model, you can get a brand new GT mustang...also, while the 250hp V6 is decent for a V6, with a car that sits at 4200lbs, that challenger would be SLOWER THAN MY STRATUS. i have often said that my next car will have stock 12 second potential, but even if that isnt the case, ill be damned to ever buy a car again that is as slow as my stratus...dont get me wrong, i like it, but its a pig. so for the price of the challenger with the 5.7, you can have a mustang GT modded to make well over the 345hp in the challenger...also, the 5.7 seems to always have ths auto trans attatched to it, making it even slower. or for the same 35,000, you can get a 400hp GTO, and have money to spare.

i feel that this car is going to cement dodge in what THEY feel that they should be in the automotive food chain...if they price the cars like you have shown above, i feel that it is them saying "were an elite company and if you want to go fast in our cars, youll pay out the ass", which is not how dodge got where they are today. ive said it before, and ill say it again..dodge needs to get over themselves...they arent a luxury brand...theyre dodge. the need to price like dodge, not like mercedes.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

I disagree that $25,000 will be the base price, but even so the Challenger in my mind is worth more anyways for the reasons I must have said at least ten times by now. I am tired of arguing over this (we all know H#ll is going to freeze over now that I'm tired of arguing about anything). Let's just wait and see. I can't imagine a $10,000 gap between the V6 and 5.7L models when there is only a $4,000 difference between the SXT and R/T models of the Charger. I still believe bored out's numbers are a little inflated. I think it will be priced like the Charger. That is all![sm=rant.gif]

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: did anyone see/post this?