Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales

Old 01-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales

Anthony, I happen to apprecite you sharing some "inside" info. here, so thanks for that! I do have one other question however - Any idea what the `09 Challenger R/T is going to MSRP for? I understand it's purely speculative, but I was curious to know if you and/or the Owner there have any sense for that. I've heard anywhere between $31-$35K for the 5.7 liter HEMI. Please tell me it's gonna be more like hi-$20's and be able to compete (price-wise) with a new Mustang GT. [sm=goodidea.gif]
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

ORIGINAL: AnthonyAtAkins

That's what they're averaging for across the US. We're asking $20k for the two remaining we're getting. The one we sold has been paid for in cash and was $25k over.

Keep in mind though, this is just for the limited production run of the SRT-8's that are going to be numbered. In 2009 when more models come out, prices will significantly drop.

Right now, across the US, there have been over 6000 pre-sales taken, but they are only making a run of 5000. Do the math. There aren't enough Challengers for all the buyers in 2008. My dealership just hasn't started doing pre-sales until this past week. We wanted to wait until official pricing was released and we found out how many for sure we're getting. We're getting two orange and one black, all 3 fully loaded, so its like a $41,980 MSRP.

A lot of dealerships have sold more than their alotted number of Challengers. That will cause for some upset customers when they find out they aren't getting their limited edition SRT-8 they were hoping for.

The first run is being aimed more as a collectors car.

It all depends on the demand for the car. We sell Fords too, and the Shelby GT500's go for 10-15k over sticker, Bullitt Mustangs are going for just full MSRP, and the GT500KR we're getting in has already had a deposit put down on it for 100k over sticker. It was something rediculous like $195k otd.
[sm=trust_me.gif]
Anyone need any fertilizer? This guy's selling it in 4000lb loads at $61K per.
It'd be humorous if he even had his facts straight. But like those that have come here before him, he THINKS he can dance around them.

Facts are;
Dodge hasn't publicly committed to a specific production number of 2008 Challenger SRT8s other than to say "less than 10,000".

Dodge employees have stated "Each dealership will get ONE 2008 Challenger SRT8"....but he's getting 3 (at MSRP + $20K" each).

He's asking $20K over MSRP for the 2nd and 3rd Challengers he's getting - (first one was paid in full already at MSRP +$25K) meaning he doesn't have anyone knocking his door down to be taken advantage of, so he's soliciting sales here. ANY TAKERS?

6000 orders were recorded within the first week Dodge was accepting orders on the limited edition / numbered dash plaque 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8's, ......and his dealership didn't order any until last week - because they wanted to wait for "official pricing to be released" - which also happened on December 3rd, 2007 - BUT they're getting three, even though they obviously have at least 6000 orders being filled before theirs.

This guy joined the forum today, and has four posts already - aimed at selling Challengers (at MSRP+$20K)
[sm=bustedsign.gif]

Go stand in the corner next to dodgesales and hang your head in shame - if you have any. Then check Edmunds.com for the real numbers.
So cnn.com and jalopnik.com saying Challengers going for $20k over is a lie too?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: ResumeSpeed

Right now, across the US, there have been over 6000 pre-sales taken, but they are only making a run of 5000. Do the math...
It's hard to "do the math" when BOTH of your numbers are way off...
Really? Go tell CNN, who backs my numbers.

"It had been reported that Chrysler would build only 5,000 Challenger's for the 2008 model year, but more than 6,000 have already been ordered. The company may increase production to meet additional demand, Chrysler spokeswoman Kathy Graham said."

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/06/auto..._over_sticker/

EDIT: I just went and asked our owner and he said he's been told there are actually only going to be about 4700-4800 actually for sale.
Sorry, but CNN is WRONG and so is your owner. Chrysler has NEVER officially stated that they would build 5000 Challengers for MY 2008. This was an unofficial number that someone came up with some months back and it spread across various news sources and across the net.

As of December 20th, Dodge had taken exactly 8,851 pre-orders on the 2008 Challenger. At that point in time 7,200 2008 models were scheduled for production (6,500 for the U.S. and 700 for Canada). That number has now been raised. The pre-order number as of today is well over 9000.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

Anthony, I happen to apprecite you sharing some "inside" info. here, so thanks for that! I do have one other question however - Any idea what the `09 Challenger R/T is going to MSRP for? I understand it's purely speculative, but I was curious to know if you and/or the Owner there have any sense for that. I've heard anywhere between $31-$35K for the 5.7 liter HEMI. Please tell me it's gonna be more like hi-$20's and be able to compete (price-wise) with a new Mustang GT. [sm=goodidea.gif]
They haven't announced prices on the R/T's or the V6's. After the 2008 year you won't see the 20k mark up. It's is ONLY going to be fore the first year of limited production SRT-8's that are serial numbered. I would assume the prices you're guessing should be about in line with what the v6 and R/T should be. I would guess 20's for v6, high 20's-low 30s for R/t and around 40 for SRT-8.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno
Anthony, I happen to apprecite you sharing some "inside" info. here, so thanks for that!
If I were you I wouldn't "appreciate" info that is totally WRONG.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM

So cnn.com and jalopnik.com saying Challengers going for $20k over is a lie too?
Absolutely not! I'm SURE there are plenty of fools with more money than common sense who would pay well over MSRP for a first model year Challenger. My 11 year old could have made that statement and been right. He doesn't even have to "do the math".
There's a sucker born every minute. If there wasn't, everyone would wait until the 2009 Challengers came out to buy one.
Dodge has a marketing plan to get this car rolling quick out of the gate - and as always, there's some unscrupulous salesmen just dying to see how easily some people can be separated from their cash.
Why limit yourself to one make when you can gouge Mustang fans for an MSRP + $15K Shelby too?
Wherever there's fish, there's gonna be sharks.

What bothers me isn't the fact that you mark up cars well over MSRP - I understand that you'll get what the market brings for the product, and there are always people with more disposable cash than brains. It's the fact that you salesmen know very little about the product your selling, claim to have facts, and then come in here and try to sell us a load of crap to enhance your income when WE undoubtedly know more about the Challenger than you do! We've been discussing everything about it for over two years now. Your information is new to you and riddled with half-truths that suit your needs as a salesman. We have a passion for this car and we've studied it - out of appreciation for automotive excellence, not for financial appreciation.

Why not just post in the newbies section; "Hi, I'm Anthony at Akins. If you're looking to buy a 2008 Challenger, feel free to email me at anthony20Kovermsrp@akins.com ".
Old 01-04-2008, 01:25 PM

original: AnthonyAtAkins

They haven't announced prices on the R/T's or the V6's. After the 2008 year you won't see the 20k mark up. It's is ONLY going to be fore the first year of limited production SRT-8's that are serial numbered. I would assume the prices you're guessing should be about in line with what the v6 and R/T should be. I would guess 20's for v6, high 20's-low 30s for R/t and around 40 for SRT-8.
Didn't Dodge state that pricing for the 2008 Challengers would be very close to that of the Chargers? Since that info was dead-on, wouldn't it be safe to assume the same would be true of 2009's?

Look at the current 2008 Charger pricing and add 2%. You should be extremely close to the stickers on similarly trimmed 2009 Challengers.
You'd think a knowledgable salesman would have known/said that.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp
...It's the fact that you salesmen know very little about the product your selling, claim to have facts, and then come in here and try to sell us a load of crap to enhance your income when WE undoubtedly know more about the Challenger than you do! We've been discussing everything about it for over two years now. Your information is new to you and riddled with half-truths that suit your needs as a salesman. We have a passion for this car and we've studied it - out of appreciation for automotive excellence, not for financial appreciation.
Perfect summary. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM

set 'em right bootcamp!

I understand the whole supply and demand gig, but blatant sales rip offs is killer. Again, the high flying high rollers out there ruin it for the average joe, like the majority of us on this forum who have studied this beauty since the first release 2 years ago. It's sicking to have the dealers think it's ok to charge that kinda money over msrp and the high rollers just blink and sign, having probably just found out about this "new" car coming out that could be collectable.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 PM

I like this site.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales