Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales

Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales

ORIGINAL: ResumeSpeed

Sorry, but CNN is WRONG and so is your owner. Chrysler has NEVER officially stated that they would build 5000 Challengers for MY 2008. This was an unofficial number that someone came up with some months back and it spread across various news sources and across the net.

As of December 20th, Dodge had taken exactly 8,851 pre-orders on the 2008 Challenger. At that point in time 7,200 2008 models were scheduled for production (6,500 for the U.S. and 700 for Canada). That number has now been raised. The pre-order number as of today is well over 9000.
All right...What qualifications make you know the production numbers over my owner and inventory manager who go to private Dodge events where they let the owners know what is going on with the company, and what to expect for the coming year?

The fact is, we're one of the largest volume Dodge and Ford dealerships in the southeast, and we don't even know how many Chargers we're getting. They have told us 2008 production numbers will be around 4700 units for the US, which we figured will alot us 3 for the year.

I don't see why you want to jump down my throat and tell me how horribly wrong I am when I'm trying to provide information to the community about the vehicle. I haven't made one sales pitch since I've joined, nor do I intend to. I joined because I think the car is cool and thought I might be able to get the community a little "inside" information because of my job.

What difference does it make what I do for a job? Every salesperson isn't a lying pile of crap. I don't lie to get car sales. I'm just lucky enough where I get to be around cool cars all day and help people obtain them.

All I'm doing is relaying the information that our owner and inventory manager told us in a store meeting after they came back from a national Dodge dealership owners meeting. If you somehow have more evidence to show that our owner and CNN are wrong, please let me know, and I'll stand corrected.

ORIGINAL: BootCamp
Didn't Dodge state that pricing for the 2008 Challengers would be very close to that of the Chargers? Since that info was dead-on, wouldn't it be safe to assume the same would be true of 2009's?

Look at the current 2008 Charger pricing and add 2%. You should be extremely close to the stickers on similarly trimmed 2009 Challengers.
You'd think a knowledgable salesman would have known/said that.
Like I said, no information has been given out. If you want me to whip numbers out of thin air and tell you yes, it will be similar to Chargers, then I will. The fact is, I don't know what prices are going to be. At this point in the game it would only be an assumption. I don't see how you can insult my intelligence and integrity as a sales consultant because I don't know information that has not been announced.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: AnthonyAtAkins

ORIGINAL: ResumeSpeed
All right...What qualifications make you know the production numbers over my owner and inventory manager who go to private Dodge events where they let the owners know what is going on with the company, and what to expect for the coming year?

The fact is, we're one of the largest volume Dodge and Ford dealerships in the southeast, and we don't even know how many Chargers we're getting. They have told us 2008 production numbers will be around 4700 units for the US, which we figured will alot us 3 for the year.

Dodge told Edmunds Inside Line, on Jan. 3, that 9,000 2008 Challengers have been ordered to date that that "it will sell as many as we can build."

Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: AnthonyAtAkins

Didn't Dodge state that pricing for the 2008 Challengers would be very close to that of the Chargers? Since that info was dead-on, wouldn't it be safe to assume the same would be true of 2009's?

Look at the current 2008 Charger pricing and add 2%. You should be extremely close to the stickers on similarly trimmed 2009 Challengers.
Like I said, no information has been given out. If you want me to whip numbers out of thin air and tell you yes, it will be similar to Chargers, then I will. The fact is, I don't know what prices are going to be. At this point in the game it would only be an assumption. I don't see how you can insult my intelligence and integrity as a sales consultant because I don't know information that has not been announced.

Being a sales consultant, you should know "trends and tendencies" in the industry, and the tendency is for prices to rise roughly 2% per year on established (not new) model prices.
Dodge stated the expected price well before the official announcement right after Thanksgiving. That was we should expect it to be very close to the Charger pricing. In fact, the $37,995 price of the 2008 Challenger SRT8 was HIGHER than the $36,355 of the Charger SRT8 (by 4.5%/$1600, but that's negligible in the grand scheme of things).

I didn't insult your intelligence. You insulted ours.
However, your integrity was in question when you made - and continue to make - statements like "we'll be getting three 2008 Challenger SRT8's - two in orange and one in black", and then further go on to say "....we figured will alot us 3 for the year" in a subsequent post. Or when you said "Right now, across the US, there have been over 6000 pre-sales taken, but they are only making a run of 5000. Do the math...", and then subsequently state "They have told us 2008 production numbers will be around 4700 units for the US" in another post. OR when you said "My dealership just hasn't started doing pre-sales until this past week. We wanted to wait until official pricing was released and we found out how many for sure we're getting." You're still contradicting yourself. YOU made your integrity questionable, not me. I just pointed these "discrepancies" out. Go ahead and be angry with me for reading your posts AS YOU wrote them.
I know it's an election year, and politicians flip-flop on issues daily. But damn, man, you could have looked at what you wrote before you made another post with different numbers. The numbers you're throwing out there appear as if you indeed "whip(ped) numbers out of thin air".

Look, most of us have done our homework and KNOW what's going on with this car. There are members here who are "connected" to Dodge and the process that's unfolding here (please don't ask WHO those members are or what roles they play - we don't want anyone crucified for sharing little tid-bits here and there and they end up losing their jobs).
The simple fact is we've had several salesmen come in here and stir the pot, solicit sales, and ruffle quite a few feathers in the process. We're not here for that. When the numbers you state are contrary to what Dodge has announced ("under 10,000 units"), and you're making it plain that your dealership is looking for $20K over MSRP, how do you think your statements will be received? With a warm, fuzzy group-hug?
Most of us have contacted dealerships for information and trying to get on a "list" to buy this car months ago. MOST of the dealerships didn't know what in the hell we were talking about when we did. Now that dealerships have a little solid information on the "availibility" of this car because the order banks are open, we expect the usual d
Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM

OK, so if they're building as many as they can, what is the point of them putting a serial numbered dash plate on the 2008 models. The 2008's are going to be a limited production. Once they sell out of those, they will go into a full production run of 2009's.

You have to remember, the Challenger isn't scheduled to come out until spring of this year. When do next year models normally come out? Normally around September or October.

This means they have from spring until fall to sell their 5,000 limited production 2008's, then in fall 2008, you'll see the full production line of 2009's hit the show room floor.

Yes, they are going to be building as many as they can, but that first run that lasts the first few months are going to be the serial numbered 2008's who will go to the highest bidder. Everyone else will get the '09's in fall 2008.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:19 PM

OK, so if they're building as many as they can, what is the point of them putting a serial numbered dash plate on the 2008 models. The 2008's are going to be a limited production. Once they sell out of those, they will go into a full production run of 2009's.

You have to remember, the Challenger isn't scheduled to come out until spring of this year. When do next year models normally come out? Normally around September or October.

This means they have from spring until fall to sell their 5,000 limited production 2008's, then in fall 2008, you'll see the full production line of 2009's hit the show room floor.

Yes, they are going to be building as many as they can, but that first run that lasts the first few months are going to be the serial numbered 2008's who will go to the highest bidder. Everyone else will get the '09's in fall 2008.
The numbered dash plaques are indicative of a "collector's piece". It happened in every hobby that involves collectibles. The same thing was done with the current Daytona's - #XXXX of 5000.

Models "typically" debut in the fall as the next model year. But it isn't unheard of for a model to debut mid-year. I believe the Mustangs (another pony car) originally debuted as a mid-year model at the World's Fair on April 17, 1964 as a '64 1/2.

Certainly, time alone would limit the number of Challengers Brampton can produce between (expected) April and June/July when m/y retooling normally occurs. Dodge stated they would make "fewer than 10,000 units" of the 2008 Challengers, thus it's a limited edition.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Being a sales consultant, you should know "trends and tendencies" in the industry, and the tendency is for prices to rise roughly 2% per year on established (not new) model prices.
Dodge stated the expected price well before the official announcement right after Thanksgiving. That was we should expect it to be very close to the Charger pricing. In fact, the $37,995 price of the 2008 Challenger SRT8 was HIGHER than the $36,355 of the Charger SRT8 by 4.5%/$1600), but that's negligible in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't insult your intelligence. You insulted ours.
However, your integrity was in question when you made - and continue to make - statements like "we'll be getting three 2008 Challenger SRT8's - two in orange and one in black", and then further go on to say "....we figured will alot us 3 for the year" in a subsequent post. Or when you said "Right now, across the US, there have been over 6000 pre-sales taken, but they are only making a run of 5000. Do the math...", and then subsequently state "They have told us 2008 production numbers will be around 4700 units for the US" in another post. OR when you said "My dealership just hasn't started doing pre-sales until this past week. We wanted to wait until official pricing was released and we found out how many for sure we're getting." You're still contradicting yourself. YOU made your integrity questionable, not me. I just pointed these "discrepancies" out. Go ahead and be angry with me for reading your posts AS YOU wrote them.
I know it's an election year, and politicians flip-flop on issues daily. But damn, man, you could have looked at what you wrote before you made another post with different numbers. The numbers you're throwing out there appear as if you indeed "whip(ped) numbers out of thin air".
All right, lets see if I can put it reasonable terms that you might understand. When automakers make cars, do 100% of the car's go to the US? No, some go to Canada. I just talked to my inventory manager this week, who said he just talked to our Dodge rep who said it was looking like the US would get about 4700 units for the 2008 SRT-8's. The numbers I posted have been backed up by CNN.com. That's a pretty credible source last time I checked. Just because you didn't catch that I said "in the US" don't blame me.

Personally, like I said, I could care less if I sell a Challenger. Yes, it would be nice, but it's not really a car you go out and push on people. If someone wants one, they're going to buy one. If I get lucky enough to get the phone call or up the customer, so be it.

I'd be happy to sell one at sticker if my dealership would let me. A sale is a sale. 80% of my business I do by repeat and referreals.

I'm not the one who decides the mark up, so quit bashing me like I'm the one who decides the price point. I'm just trying to earn a living and do my job. J
Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 PM

All right, lets see if I can put it reasonable terms that you might understand.
Now WHO'S insulting WHOSE intelligence?
I'm not some bumpkin who just rolled off of the hill and landed in here. Neither are the majority of members in this forum. We know that Dodge never committed to a specific number other than "less than 10,000". We know that as of right now, LLC has no plans to ship the Challenger overseas. The allotment to Canada is reflective of the manufacturing location, and LLC's affiliation with our northern neighbors. The numbers to Canada will reflect a percentage of the total number made - again, still unspecified.

Like I said before, IF you want to LEARN about the product your dealership is selling (and God knows MOST of the car-buying public would prefer to buy a car from someone who KNOWS a LOT about it and can answer their questions without checking with someone else) and improve your chances of actually selling one (and making a good commission in the process - if you get more than one 2008), you're invited to read the threads in here and gain some insight.
You're a bright guy. You should know better than to put ALL of your eggs in one basket. We doubt anything unless it's verified by multiple/reliable sources (not just CNN). Don't take one source as "gospel"......unless it comes directly from Dodge.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM

Now WHO'S insulting WHO'S intelligence? By the way, its "who's insulting whose intelligence."
I'm not some bumpkin who just rolled off of the hill and landed in here. Neither are the majority of members in this forum. We know that Dodge never committed to a specific number other than "less than 10,000". We know that as of right now, LLC has no plans to ship the Challenger overseas. The allotment to Canada is reflective of the manufacturing location, and LLC's affiliation with our northern neighbors. The numbers to Canada will reflect a percentage of the total number made - again, still unspecified.

Like I said before, IF you want to LEARN about the product your dealership is selling (and God knows MOST of the car-buying public would prefer to buy a car from someone who KNOWS a LOT about it and can answer their questions without checking with someone else) and improve your chances of actually selling one (and making a good commission in the process - if you get more than one 2008), you're invited to read the threads in here and gain some insight.
You're a bright guy. You should know better than to put ALL of your eggs in one basket. We doubt anything unless it's verified by multiple/reliable sources (not just CNN). Don't take one source as "gospel"......unless it comes directly from Dodge.
So what Dodge directly told my owner, and he in turn told me, isn't directly from Dodge? I'm failing to follow your logic.

As I said, our ordering manager told me he was on the phone with Dodge to try and find out how many we are for sure getting. We have 3 on order, but the Dodge rep told him that of the 2008 SRT-8's it was looking to be about 4700 units to the US.

I don't know what else you want me to tell you. I'm relaying the information directly from him off the phone from Dodge. That is our most up to date information as of Thursday at the dealership pertaining to how many of the 2008 SRT-8's will be made.

I'm not lying, I'm not trying to misinform the market to drive up mark up.

I told you I joined the site because I happen to like the car and wanted to talk about it. I put my dealership's name in my name to give me an excuse to check at work during down times or breaks.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Now WHO'S insulting WHO'S intelligence? By the way, its "who's insulting whose intelligence."
Corrected that before I read this post. You're correct.

Are you buying one for yourself? You get a discount, right? Well, not on the '08, but on an '09 anyway.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Corrected that before I read this post. You're correct.

Are you buying one for yourself? You get a discount, right? Well, not on the '08, but on an '09 anyway.
I would love to get one for myself. If I wanted a 2008, I'd be paying the mark up too. I probably won't be in the market for a car until 2010, but unless they release a manual tranny SRT-8 I'm not sure I'd get one. I'm a huge manual tranny nut.

I think the new Challenger's are just damned sexy though...I might go for an R/T manual

I'm kinda up in arms as to what I want to get though. I want something with some bawls and a manual tranny.

That's what held me up from getting a Charger.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales