Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales

Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales

Well, the guys in this forum, as well as another site are reporting manual transmissions available in all levels in 2009.
The SRT8 and R/T will have Tremec 6 speeds available with slightly different gear ratios between them (3.92 in the SRT8 and 3.73 in the R/T, 3.06 and 2.82 respectively in the 5 speed autosticks). They also report a 4 speed automatic behind a V6 in the entry level Challengers.
The 5.7L HEMI in the R/T is very strong. But if you're a "power hog", you wouldn't be satisfied knowing a 6.1L was available in the SRT8.
There have been rhumors that the 6.4L motor (510 hp) "may" be available at some point in the SRT8, but most of us doubt that. Too bad.... that'd be an awesome powerplant and very hard to beat.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:56 PM

I'm tinkering with the idea of going import and getting a Subaru Impreza STi. Those are stupid fast for $35k. Plus they're all wheel drive and handle like a mother, so it'd be a good car to take out to Road Atlanta on track days.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM

AnthonyAtakins,

I CAN NOT HELP MYSELF BUT TO PIPE UP AND DEFEND YOU. MY DAD OWNS A SMALL DODGE DEALERSHIP IN RURAL AMERICA AND I SAW THE LETTER THAT CAME OUT FROM DODGE STATING THAT 4500 SRT 8 MODELS WERE COMING OUT FOR 2008. IT ALSO STATES IN THE LETTER THAT EACH DODGE DEALER IS GUARANTEED AT LEAST ONE. I KNOW AS WELL AS YOU DO BIGGER DEALERS WILL RECEIVE MORE, AS THEY SHOULD. THERE ALSO WAS A FORMULA BASED ON PREVIOUS CAR AND SRT SALES. I AM PLEASED TO SEE DODGE GIVING SMALL GUYS A CHANCE TO SEE A PERSON BE PROUD TO PICK UP SUCH AN AWESOME PRODUCT, THE CHALLENGER. I PUT A POST IN THE OTHER DAY DESCRIBING HOW I HAD EMAILED NEARLY EVERY DEALER IN THE NATION ABOUT THEIR FIRST 2008 CHALLENGER. I ALSO INFORMED WHAT I DISCOVERED, YOU ARE NOT OUT OF LINE WHEN YOU SAY $20-$25K OVER STICKER. I HAD LOTS OF RESPONSES LIKE THAT. I ALSO FOUND SOME CHEAPER AND YOU CAN BET THAT I PURSUED THOSE. ANYWAY I WENT ON THE SITE AFTER SPENDING LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF HOURS PURSUING THIS AWESOME CAR AND TRIED TO SHED SOME LIGHT ON MY FINDINGS AND CLEAR SOME RUMORS, AND I GOT OF A RESPONSE OF "COULD YOU PLEASE NOT WRITE IN ALL CAPS." I HAVE HUNDREDS OF EMAIL RESPONSES FROM DEALERS EITHER STATING THERE FIRST ONE IS SOLD OR WHAT PRICE THEY WANT FOR THEIRS. I SPOKE TO A DEALER IN LAS VEGAS TODAY AND THEY WANT $20K OVER STICKER AND THEY SELL THE MOST DODGES IN THE COUNTRY. DOES THE SHOW KING OF CARS RING A BELL TO ANYONE? YOU AND I ARE NOT ON THIS SITE TO PROVOKE PEOPLE, JUST TO INFORM THEM OF CURRENT MARKET CONDITONS. ANYBODY CAN SAY THERE ARE 9000 ORDERS, BUT MY DAD PUT IN 3 HIMSELF AND ONLY 1 IS IN "C" STATUS WHICH MEANS THE OTHERS WILL NOT GET BUILT. MY HATS OF TO YOUR OWNER AND MANAGER BECAUSE YOU ARE WELL INFORMED OF WHAT ACTUALLY IS GOING ON. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: dionvos

AnthonyAtakins,
....... AND I GOT OF A RESPONSE OF "COULD YOU PLEASE NOT WRITE IN ALL CAPS." .......
I see the caps lock works - sometimes - and sometimes not.
Note the word "please" in that members request. I thought they were polite enough. Note your deliberate disregard for that request.
You'll garner the same level of respect that you show for others. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 AM

AND I SAW THE LETTER THAT CAME OUT FROM DODGE STATING THAT 4500 SRT 8 MODELS WERE COMING OUT FOR 2008. IT ALSO STATES IN THE LETTER THAT EACH DODGE DEALER IS GUARANTEED AT LEAST ONE...
When you get a chance review the letter, no production numbers were stated.

THERE ALSO WAS A FORMULA BASED ON PREVIOUS CAR AND SRT SALES.
Correct, just like on all of the previous SRT8's that have been released, 300C, Charger, Grand Cherokee, Magnum.

I HAVE HUNDREDS OF EMAIL RESPONSES FROM DEALERS EITHER STATING THERE FIRST ONE IS SOLD...
Getting this information would not have required spending the time to email thousands of dealers and read their replies, the answer would seem pretty apparent, no? As far as getting an idea of what dealers have been selling Challengers for, that information has been readily available on various message boards during the past year, as hundreds of owners have reported prices that they were quoted when placing their deposits ("MSRP", or "MSRP+x"), and after December 3rd re-reported what they actually ended up paying. Add in the legitimate ebay pre-sale prices and one easily comes up with the low-to-high price range above sticker. But there was absolutely no surprise here. Anyone familiar with prior sales and launches of similar vehicles could have, and actually did, correctly "predict" that prices would range from ~MSRP up to ~$20 or $25k above MSRP.

ANYBODY CAN SAY THERE ARE 9000 ORDERS...
I agree. BUT, when a pre-order number has been officially stated from Dodge, there is no question as to its accuracy.

In an earlier post I listed an exact pre-order number of 8,851 units as of December 20th. The following week orders surpassed the 9,000 barrier. The 10k barrier will be crossed soon. Some of the 2008 pre-orders, a number that is still to be determined, will be shifted over to 2009 models. I would count on ~7,500-10,000 2008 models being built for North America. Dealers will learn of their 2009 allocations and will start taking orders for them early this year. The 2009 production start is currently set for July 28th.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 AM

Excellent reply. Thank you!
ORIGINAL: ResumeSpeed

In an earlier post I listed an exact pre-order number of 8,851 units as of December 20th. The following week orders surpassed the 9,000 barrier. The 10k barrier will be crossed soon. Some of the 2008 pre-orders, a number that is still to be determined, will be shifted over to 2009 models. I would count on ~7,500-10,000 2008 models being built for North America. Dealers will learn of their 2009 allocations and will start taking orders for them early this year. The 2009 production start is currently set for July 28th.
Since you show a 2009 production start date of July 28th, any idea what date the order banks open for those 2009 models?
Also, any idea of when the specs/trim levels and options for those 2009 models will be made available as well?
I'd really like to consider all of the options well before I go to the dealership with money in hand.

One last request - what can you share about the next generation 5.7L HEMI with VVT?
Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp
Since you show a 2009 production start date of July 28th, any idea what date the order banks open for those 2009 models?

Also, any idea of when the specs/trim levels and options for those 2009 models will be made available as well?

One last request - what can you share about the next generation 5.7L HEMI with VVT?
Normally, the 2009 order banks would open in June (and they will for most models). For the 2009 Challenger however, they will open much earlier. I don't have an exact date so all I can do is take a wild guess that it will be sometime between February and April.

I'm thinking that they will announce more details on the 2009 models during the world premier next month. The 2009 lineup will feature the base model V6 auto, the R/T auto and manual and the SRT auto and manual. Other than the manual transmission and related features (gears, Hill Assist) the 2009 model features/equipment will be very much the same as 2008. For example, the 2008 SRT and the 2009 SRT will be almost identical features & equipment-wise.

No new info on the gen II 5.7L, but, we'll have some official info very soon, like next Sunday or Monday, or even a little before. That is when Dodge will unveil the new Ram 1500, and the new 5.7 will be offered in the Ram. While some of the specs may vary a little between the Ram 5.7 and Challenger 5.7, we'll have details on all of the new 5.7's features.

Are you planning on getting a Challenger R/T? Manual or Auto?

One of the new 2009 Challenger colors, BTW, will be Dark Titanium Metallic.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM

IF this letter uploaded properly it should speak for itself.

I also would like to add that if you think I just spent hours emailing thousands of dealers just because I have a lot of time on my hands and so I could come on this site to be an authority, you could not be more incorrect. The reason I did it was to purchase the cheapest challengers that were available. I was successful at purchasing 2 for msrp. I also am pursuing the rest of my leads as we speak. I was just trying to state some of the same views as the salesman that some of you crucified.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1122/60EC23F42F6C4F50B500DF04A06BC2D5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM

We're pretty sure we're getting 3. One is confirmed, and based on past allotments of rarer cars, we're pretty confident we're getting 3. If we can, we might call some rural dealerships and see if we can buy a few at MSRP, truck them out and sell them.

They told me when the GT500's first came out they got 5 extra GT500's that way. This should be a pretty sweet year for cars though. Got the Challenger coming in, and the GT500KR, and we've been all but guaranteed one of those. I think one of the owner's friends put in an offer of like $100k over sticker if we end up getting it...

That's pretty absurd if you ask me lol.

I'll just be happy to sit in that and a Challenger, and take them to fill them up with gas for now lol.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: ResumeSpeed

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

Normally, the 2009 order banks would open in June (and they will for most models). For the 2009 Challenger however, they will open much earlier. I don't have an exact date so all I can do is take a wild guess that it will be sometime between February and April.

I'm thinking that they will announce more details on the 2009 models during the world premier next month. The 2009 lineup will feature the base model V6 auto, the R/T auto and manual and the SRT auto and manual. Other than the manual transmission and related features (gears, Hill Assist) the 2009 model features/equipment will be very much the same as 2008. For example, the 2008 SRT and the 2009 SRT will be almost identical features & equipment-wise.

No new info on the gen II 5.7L, but, we'll have some official info very soon, like next Sunday or Monday, or even a little before. That is when Dodge will unveil the new Ram 1500, and the new 5.7 will be offered in the Ram. While some of the specs may vary a little between the Ram 5.7 and Challenger 5.7, we'll have details on all of the new 5.7's features.

Are you planning on getting a Challenger R/T? Manual or Auto?

One of the new 2009 Challenger colors, BTW, will be Dark Titanium Metallic.
Thanks for all of that info, Bud. Very helpful!
I've been bouncing between the SRT8 and the R/T - both with the 6 speed.....just can't decide if I want to sacrifice 425+HP to get exactly the options I want (pedastal spoiler instead of the flip spoiler, for one), whether I'm willing to forego a lifetime warranty on the powertrain, and whether I want to pay the gas-guzzler tax up front and use only premium fuel afterward. If the new 5.7L HEMI with VVT comes out specced as I expect, that MAY make my decision easier (I could settle for 370HP and enjoy the benefits of better fuel mileage, no GG tax and the lifetime warranty without sacrificing too much HP in the process - kinda like "having my cake and eat it too). Decisions, decisions........

The news about the Dark Titanium Metallic paint is excellent! That was a choice I was hoping to have. My friend ordered a Mustang GT in that color when they were first restyled in 2005 and it looked awesome on that car. That's a serious consideration for me - I was thinking Brilliant Black Metallic before this info, but that's so hard to keep clean. This would be an excellent alternative.

Feel free to keep me/us posted as you get any info. I appreciate it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Edmunds Report on 2008 Challenger Sales