Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Is the SRT8 worth 11K more than the R/T?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the SRT8 worth 11K more than the R/T?

Like many of you here I’ve owned E-Bodies and wished for a long time Mopar would bring back a ‘Cuda or Challenger. I’ve owned late model Corvettes and Mustangs but never a brand new car, never wanted that hit on depreciation. Dodge actually decided to build my dream car, doing it closer and better than I could imagine. The Challenger must be my first brand new car, a driver and a keeper.

It’s hard to decide what to order this fall. I’ve imagined for years what I would do if I where ordering a new car in 1970, a HEMI or 440 perhaps a 340 four speed rag top? It’s hard to make the comparison today with two V8 choices compared to six in 1970. I like the heritage and the idea of a properly optioned R/T but do I pass up the chance to order the “426 HEMI” of 2009? Like many of you I’ve followed this car almost daily from concept to reality, been reading all the 2008 SRT road test/driving impression articles. I think I need to read up when the 2009 R/T articles come around then decide. Since I’m planning to order in the late fall I should have the time.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:57 AM

There has been some great point counterpoint about if the SRT is worth more than the RT. My personal opinion is, WHO REALLY GIVES A RAT'S BUTT? You buy the car you want and either you are happy or unhappy with it. If you are scared to lose money, put your cash in a money market account not a car, any car. I spent 48K on a 2006 Avalanche 2 years ago. I just traded it in and got blue book..16K. So what!! I bought it because I wanted it, needed it. Not for investment. You want investment, go buy gold or silver. Geez, its a freaking car for crying out loud. A beautiful work of art yes but still a car. Get over it.

And for Kevin, just watch the Barrett Jackson Auto auction if you dont think American cars retain value.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 AM

brucer41 yea look at he barrett auctions its all cars from the 70s.... never seen an 80s car cuz cars have never matched that design..
plus i was speaking about basically a resale like if you want to buy a new car and you want to trade in your challenger they wont give you jack for it...just like the srt8 chargers. american cars since the europeans started getting their stuff str8t depreciate the minute they leave the dealer its a proven fact..

the only cars that sell high at barretts that arent old school muscle...are the cars that havent even come out yet...such as the corvette zr1

i wish i were wrong but its a proven fact when you buy an american car in todays present day...it depreciates the minute you leave the dealer.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 AM

Every car depreciates once it is driven off lot. End of story.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: brucer41

There has been some great point counterpoint about if the SRT is worth more than the RT. My personal opinion is, WHO REALLY GIVES A RAT'S BUTT? You buy the car you want and either you are happy or unhappy with it. If you are scared to lose money, put your cash in a money market account not a car, any car. I spent 48K on a 2006 Avalanche 2 years ago. I just traded it in and got blue book..16K. So what!! I bought it because I wanted it, needed it. Not for investment. You want investment, go buy gold or silver. Geez, its a freaking car for crying out loud. A beautiful work of art yes but still a car. Get over it.

And for Kevin, just watch the Barrett Jackson Auto auction if you dont think American cars retain value.

I agree with ya brucer41.... If you want buy it. You're only going to live once in the world so don't go through thinking... could've, should've would've. If you R/T or SRT, get it. Who cars what Joe Blow thinks.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: RUBBERBNDMAN

Every car depreciates once it is driven off lot. End of story.

some more than others..

nonetheless im keeping my challenger for life so i have no worries
Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Same here, kevin. That's why I intend to get two. I always figured my '70 would last my entire life and it got wrecked.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Same here, kevin. That's why I intend to get two. I always figured my '70 would last my entire life and it got wrecked.

nice i wish i could have one in reserve just incase lol.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 PM

On what basis is it being suggested that modding an RT will end up costing more?

50 HP could easily be obtained for around 2.5-3K. Spending 10K-11K more for an SRT8 gets you get more standard options, but they're DODGE's options, not yours. If you want aftermarket wheels/tires, stripes, sound system upgrades, then you're really only getting 50 HP, in addition to suspension upgrades that are nice, but not necessary for a 50 HP upgrade. Brakes that are better, but not necessary for a 50 HP upgrade. I think anyone who is torn between the two models is looking through a "bang for your buck" scope. IMO the SRT8 doesn't supply this bang as much as the RT does.

Again, you could buy an RT, obtain 50 more HP through CAI, exhaust, chip and tuning, leave the suspension/brakes as they are, and still have around 7K left for other mods. How does that cost MORE than the SRT?

Lastly....if resale is a real factor, I would suggest the person buying is either stretching beyond their financial means, or that they have the luxury of financial indecision, the latter rendering their opinion fairly moot for the average person.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 AM

From another post regarding his new challenger. Never had these problems on my 3 series which has been rated number 1 in its class (luxuary sedan) in the last 15 years or so.

Now thats funny, the BMW 3 Series has been near or in the top 10 of MOST UNRELIABLE cars since 1994!

Quick Reply: Is the SRT8 worth 11K more than the R/T?