Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

How do I support our sponsor?

Old 06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I support our sponsor?

So it rained on your parade, or on your racing day in this case. What blew on the Mirada?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Administrator

i broke the tranny...the front pump went out, and it broke the convertor
Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

I guess it had too much power. How much did that cost to fix, if you don't mind me asking? Which transmission does it have?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

im running a built 727. the convertor was about 500 bucks. the trans was getting old...and we had made ALOT of runs on it...the power surely didnt help it any either..lol

but i was so pissed that it broke, i started drinking, and amanda ran the RT instead and had alot of fun
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

The 727 is known for being one tough tranny, but everything eventually wears out. You must have been P.O.ed to start drinking. Why were you so upset? Was it the disappointment of not being able to race after waiting so long to race, was it the price of fixing the car, or were you considered the car was destroyed and therefore lost something you had senimental value towards?"

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

as ive told amanda, no car is destroyed unless it burns.

since moving, ive been driving that slow ass stratus, after having had the mirada for a daily driver for some 8 years. so to say that i was looking forward to running the mirada, is an extreme understatement. im a BIG pessimist, so for me to look forward to something, and to expect something to go smoothly, is very unlike me. we got to the event in the middle of a big storm, and i didnt think that i would get a run at all...it rained and rained, and finally it stopped long enough for my class to get out there, so we got into the lanes, and as i did my burnout and pulled up the stage..i brought the rpms up when smoke started pouring from under the car...it dumped tranny fluid everywhere. i was just so pissed off that i had waited so long to finally drive my car, and it broke...i had to do the walk of shame, and i had a melt down...throwing gloves..my helmet..etc. until we found someone to tow the car back to our garage stall...we were luckily able to get it on the trailer...since i didnt make a single run, they let me put my tech number on the RT and amanda ran it.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Okay that explains that. Sounds like you just had one heck of a bad day. I've had those days when I looked forward to do something I really wanted to do then it breaks. That drives me nuts. Completely understandable.

im a BIG pessimist, so for me to look forward to something, and to expect something to go smoothly, is very unlike me
I feel your pain on that. I'm pessimistic on certain things, such as my future success (due to some past failures but that is a different story).

How did Amanda do with your Stratus? If the Stratus doesn't satisfy your need for speed, why don't you add more mods to it, or would the torque steer become too big an issue at that point?

An example that everyone saw on here about how I react when I have great expectations and it fails was my rant on the new Sebring. The mention of the 3.5L with the new 6-speed really got me excited (the Dodge version was going to be my backup plan in case the Challenger did pan out). When I saw that the output was not as high and the fuel mileage was only marginally better after waiting 11 years for them to put the 3.5L in a lighter car, I lost it. I was very disappointed. If you guys think I ranted a lot on here about it, you should talk to my friends. Boy was I P.O.ed.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

the stratus is faster than alot of cars in its class, and it has excellent top speed for an NA V6, but its slow off the line. i dont want to mod it because its an automatic. i blew my knee out right before graduation, and it was severe enough that the doctors were concerned that i wouldnt regain full use of my left leg. so i bought the autostick, and for an autostick, it provides alot of control, but it still eats alot of power. the stock atx RT is about a second slower than the stock mtx RT. if it was a manual, i would have more done to it...the exhaust manifolds are very restrictive, and guys with headers, a midpipe and muffler, with CAI, mounts, and good tires have gotten low 14s....but no matter how much work i do, i have a transmission that wont hold up to serious power, and the RTs have severe piston troubles when the power is upped alot. i have a 75 shot in my possession, but guys have literally melted engines with properly tuned nitrous setups...so it will probably go on amandas truck. her 360 is a much heartier engine, and her truck is already quite a bit faster than my RT. so basically, engine failure concerns me alot more than torque steer..lol

amanda did well. i was so pissed off that i forgot that the RT (which we hadnt planned on racing) still had the huge amp, 2 12s, the jack, the spare, some tools, some clothes, and a full tank of gas...so she was running with about 200lbs of extra weight. she ran well though for her first time bracket racing, and she even won first round against a big block challenger!

she will be running it again this september at the same mopar event, and i will be running the mirada (i hope). we will be in the same class, so there is a chance that we could go head to head in eliminations...that would be interesting..ive made well over 1000 passes in my "career", and she has made 6. since we are planning on running it this time, we will have the trunk emptied out, and no gas in the car...and see what it will do!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting. What is the top speed? From what I read the auto 0-60 is about 8.5 secs and the manual is about 7.3 secs. How much can the Mitsubishi transmission handle? Is this version of the 3.0l Mitsubishi so different that it can't use a twin-turbo set up like the DOHC version can. The 3.0L has never really been one of my favorite engines with some of its characteristics, but it is a better engine than the 2.7L in the sedan counterpart (which is on a completely different platform).

What model is Amanda's Ram? My neighboor had a either a 1998 or 1999 Ram SS/T. It was nice!

I hope this year's show down comes between the two of you one in first and the other in second.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

i dont know what the 0-60 is..i dont use that as much of a determining factor since i cant go out and accurately test that. the car run 16.7-16.8 stock..its now into the 16.0-1.61 range, and with the extra crap out, it may break into the 15s. during that weekend, we couldnt figure out why my heavier dad was just as fast as amanda...i remember the crap in the trunk after we got home...[:@]

as for the 6g72 handling a TT setup..the TT bottom end was a forged bottom end, where the new RT and eclipse parts are cast, and very cheaply cast. there are guys getting good power out of a supercharger setup, but the stuff is REALLY expensive. i talked to a guy with a blown RT 5-speed at the nationals, and he ran like a 13.80, and it cost him about 10 grand for the supercharger, headers, clutch, etc. if i had 10 grand to spend on making my car a 13 second ride, i could afford to go out and buy a 13 second car. im not sure of the capabilities of the auto trans, but i wouldnt push it much.

amanda has a modded 1994 2wd 360 ram, and it is getting progressively more modded. it currently has (from front to back) electric fans, fastman throttle body, CAI, edelbrock headers, no cats, mopar performance PCM (and soon to also have MSD 6AL ignition), 3.91 suregrip...

its also in great shape.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4/1451ED99C4B1484B96CC02AB66BEF2D9.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: How do I support our sponsor?