Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

I hate Tuesdays as much as Mondays

Old 12-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I hate Tuesdays as much as Mondays

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

I understand what youre saying, especially from a college student standpoint.

When in college, i played for the hockey team, and we practiced late at night on Monday and Wednesday night from 1030pm to 1230am. During my last few semesters, due to my need to work while in school, I had classes only on tuesday and thursday, and on tuesday, i had the following schedule:

9-10:15

11-12:15

1-2:15

2:30-3:45

4-5:15

5:45-8:10 (this class was comprehensive tax...it was terrible.

my thursday was the same, except i didnt have a night class on thursday.

however, with my line of work now, every day is just as bad. im sure that sounds ridiculous, but every day is the same BS for us...even weekends.
Ouch! That would drive me crazy. So you work weekdays and weekends. Whoa! The two of you are gluttens for punishment.

ORIGINAL: joeyr
Agreed, RLSH700. I have a final in finance in a few hours . I only had classes on Monday and Wednesday this semseter, from 8-3. The class I had in advertising was on Tuesday night. I had to drop because of an accident I got into a few weeks back. This spring I'll go Monday thru thursday (I'll miss having that schedule).
I hope that went well. Finance was not one of my favorite classes, but I did well in it nevertheless so I can't complain too much. I was never able to put all of my classes all on two days. It's been a long time since I've had Fridays off. If you don't mind me asking what accident did you get into with your advertising class? Did you bomb on a major project or exam or something along those lines?

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11
HP financial calculator
Aren't those ones you can only use on a computer (meaning no physical calculator, just software)? If so, the problem with that is when it comes exam time, you're up a creek.

stevelegel, good point. It does depend on whether or not you like what you are doing for your job. I know I'm probably strange but I like work and hate college. I don't find college enjoyable as I don't have very much money coming in and it feels too redundant without seeing some actual results of my work. After the day is done, I can't sit back, drink a soda, watch television (or go to the forum and write) while feeling "I've made a change for the better in the world. I've impacted somebody's life in a positive way. I made a real difference for the better that can be measured."

In college, it feels so vain and empty. I do these projects, but they don't actually do anything. The only one's I've felt good about was the one where we do it for a local business who needs help in their marketing. Since many of them are so small that they cannot afford to pay for a marketing firm, it feels good to give something back. The one I enjoyed doing the most was a small newspaper who my Grandmother writes articles for on life issues. She was trilled to hear about this project as she and the owner are friends.

I really enjoyed my internships. My bosses where excellent and the pay was nice as well. I learned more in those than from my overpriced courses. I could test to see what things work and what things don't work. I could see the results of my work as well.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

The HP 12C is the financial calculator standard in the industry. Take a look here:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...me=storefronts
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I was not aware they made physical calculators. You'll have to forgive me, I grew up on TIs my whole life. They must have a deal with the schools and universities or something since all my instructors and teachers ever had were TIs.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Actually HP invented the calculator and make the best in the world for both financial and scientific.......they usually cost more.

Some people do not like RPN but it is a superior entry method.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Actually HP invented the calculator and make the best in the world for both financial and scientific.......they usually cost more.

Some people do not like RPN but it is a superior entry method.
Interesting I didn't know that. Would the problem be that they might be less user friendly than TIs or is it my theory about TI and the school systems?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Agreed, RLSH700. I have a final in finance in a few hours . I only had classes on Monday and Wednesday this semseter, from 8-3. The class I had in advertising was on Tuesday night. I had to drop because of an accident I got into a few weeks back. This spring I'll go Monday thru thursday (I'll miss having that schedule).

I hope that went well. Finance was not one of my favorite classes, but I did well in it nevertheless so I can't complain too much. I was never able to put all of my classes all on two days. It's been a long time since I've had Fridays off. If you don't mind me asking what accident did you get into with your advertising class? Did you bomb on a major project or exam or something along those lines?
Originally UNO (University of New Orleans) had classes Monday thru Friday with classes being on a Mon, Wed, Friday, or a Tues and Thurs block. After Katrina they had the bright idea of making the class schedule only on Monday Wednesday or Tuesday Thursday; leaving Friday open for administrative stuff. And now there are thinking of changing to a Monday Thursday and a Tuesday Friday schedule. (phew that’s a lot of days)

I had like a B going in to finance and I think I did well so I’m not worried

About the advertising deal its no biggie about you asking, I was in a car accident on my way to school the week before a major test and on that day she was giving a review for the test the following week, nobody in my group (we had groups at the time) would email me the notes so I dropped. I saw her yesterday; she told me I had a mind for marketing and I should have dropped (now she tells me [&:]. She also said feel free to take more of her classes. I’m signed up for another marketing class of hers in the spring. So all in all, Im pretty lucky.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

You should have used an HP financial calculator.... they are much better.
Jeremiah, these kids have it easy. When you and I went to college, we had to move around piles of rocks to do calculations.
I thought they would have at least have an abacus in those days .
Old 12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Would the problem be that they might be less user friendly than TIs or is it my theory about TI and the school systems?
Until recently HP calculator only used RPN and now number entry can be done in other ways. and so for a couple of decades many people did not like RPN
because it was different also marketing had a and it why some schools use it and some do not.

Here is a little history on those calculators: http://www.hpmuseum.org/
Old 12-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally UNO (University of New Orleans) had classes Monday thru Friday with classes being on a Mon, Wed, Friday, or a Tues and Thurs block. After Katrina they had the bright idea of making the class schedule only on Monday Wednesday or Tuesday Thursday; leaving Friday open for administrative stuff. And now there are thinking of changing to a Monday Thursday and a Tuesday Friday schedule. (phew that’s a lot of days)

I had like a B going in to finance and I think I did well so I’m not worried

About the advertising deal its no biggie about you asking, I was in a car accident on my way to school the week before a major test and on that day she was giving a review for the test the following week, nobody in my group (we had groups at the time) would email me the notes so I dropped. I saw her yesterday; she told me I had a mind for marketing and I should have dropped (now she tells me [&:]. She also said feel free to take more of her classes. I’m signed up for another marketing class of hers in the spring. So all in all, Im pretty lucky.
Forgive me, you had the end quote a little off and it needed to be adjusted (personal pet peeve). Now to the topic, why would they want to take Wednesday off instead of Friday? Friday is far more logical as people can enjoy a three day weekend. I'd hate to have that set up. It just isn't right if you ask me.

I'm sure you did well. I think I remember vaguely about you mentioning a car accident I guess it must have been somewhat bad if you weren't able to make it to class (or you were at least without a car at the time). Group projects are like that. I had three group projects this semester and boy do I dread group work. The one group was okay, but the other two were so lazy. They would never meet when we agree to meet. They would leave me to do most of the work. They would put everything off for right before class and sometimes it wasn't finished. You can get away with that in gen. ed. classes but you can't do that in senior level classes especially when the instructor has a Ph. D and likes to remind you of that all the time as if that makes them God or something.

Glad to hear you are optimistic. Marketing is a fun field. That's what I'm finishing up. Good luck to you on that.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-06-2007, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Forgive me, you had the end quote a little off and it needed to be adjusted (personal pet peeve). Now to the topic, why would they want to take Wednesday off instead of Friday? Friday is far more logical as people can enjoy a three day weekend. I'd hate to have that set up. It just isn't right if you ask me.

I'm sure you did well. I think I remember vaguely about you mentioning a car accident I guess it must have been somewhat bad if you weren't able to make it to class (or you were at least without a car at the time). Group projects are like that. I had three group projects this semester and boy do I dread group work. The one group was okay, but the other two were so lazy. They would never meet when we agree to meet. They would leave me to do most of the work. They would put everything off for right before class and sometimes it wasn't finished. You can get away with that in gen. ed. classes but you can't do that in senior level classes especially when the instructor has a Ph. D and likes to remind you of that all the time as if that makes them God or something.

Glad to hear you are optimistic. Marketing is a fun field. That's what I'm finishing up. Good luck to you on that.

Sorry about the quote mark. Our area after Katrina has been recovering, albeit slowly. Friday is usually a day where the prospective students would come by to check out the campus. So with the campus basically devoid of students (UNO is a commuter school) they felt by having class on Friday will give potential recruits a look of campus life. And with campus at roughly 3/4 of pre-Katrina levels they are trying new things. Nobody really likes it. But we’ll see.

About the accident, it wasn’t really my car it was my mom's, I have been saving for the Challenger since I’ve seen it, but I’m starting to wish I had would have brought a bucket until then. I had my license for a roughly two years, but I had experience from my young teens. I was getting a ride from my mom to get to school early and this lady hit us into the back of another car… while we were at a stop no less. My mom’s car was totaled, but she recently got a Jetta Wolfsburg. Everyone in the family seems to drive it more than her. But I’m just glad she wasn’t fatally injured.

And your right about groups. I had a group like that last semester. It wasn’t pretty at all. One time someone promised to turn in an extra credit assignment and all we had to was give him our part, but he forgot, and because of that I was ended up with a B+. If I had turned my portion like I wanted to I would have been fine, but I was trying to help the group. They were struggling.

Quick Reply: I hate Tuesdays as much as Mondays