Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Law of Attraction, Success Principles

Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Law of Attraction, Success Principles

Oprah Winfrey is having an show tomorrow (Friday) about the law of attraction.
Has anybody studied that besides me? I've studied many different success principles
and the law of attraction is one of them.
The people on this board seem to be pretty successful and have a positive attitude.
You guys never take advantage of any opportunities to insult or ridicule anyone,
unlike many places on the internet and in the real world. This is how winners behave.

According to what I've studied, success is 80% about having a great mental attitude.
Did any of you guys have to work on developing a great attitude or did you just grow
up with great, positive role models who taught you how to be successful by example?
Or something else?

As for me, I grew up with pretty much nothing but rotten, horrible, poor people.
They gave me nothing but really bad examples to follow. I had to do tons of studying
to learn how to think and live in the right ways and to undo and correct all the bad
influences and psychological damage.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:16 PM

Default RE: Law of Attraction, Success Principles

Yeah, pretty much my story. I have worked hard, used common sense, paid attention and respect. I can relate to you. I live quite comfortably, though not rich, but have more than I need. I 've been married for 24.5 yrs to the same woman and have learn to appreciate all good things in life.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't be for sure... but I think parents play a very important role. With that said I have seen some people overcome the parent issue. I have two loving and very supportive parents. They have been Christians since I can remember and not just in say... they backed it up with following Christs teachings. No hypocrits there. I heard how we as Christians should behave and I saw in them how a Christian does behave. And I have saw them make mistakes as we all do, its how they behaved after said mistake was made that I learned to recognize my own human limits and place the rest on GOD. But I have seen in others who did not have the benefit of good parents go on to be really great people. But Jesus in my life, has allowed me to accept all circumstances good or bad to shape me to who I am. I love " life is good" but when things are not so great I accept that also and know that an average day is a good day Blessed is they who are flexable for they shall not break Mom and Dad I love you and thank GOD for every moment I have spent with you. I have two awsome sons who continue to make me proud and show that they too have learned lifes lessons early and to be polite as we southern gentilemen are taught. Billionaire you seem to be one of those who knew what they wanted and worked hard to overcome a poor start. Good luck to you and always know its what we can control that we do our best and deal with what we can't control
Old 06-28-2008, 09:28 AM

I think success is determined by two things. First is what you define as success. Second is your attitude.
I think "success" is too general to cover as one topic though. You can be successful in business and fail miserably on a personal basis - and vice-versa.
Parents play an important role for sure. But we "tend" to be very much like them. or very much different. So I think parents are a benchmark as much as an influence.
Ive been through the lowest lows and some of the highest highs one can experience in life, as have most people. How we handle all of these times is the measure of who we are. While VERY heavy at times, Ive never had a cross I couldnt bear.
Maintaining a high moral standard, grace under pressure, humility during achievement, and determination through failure are all signs of "strength of character". How we handle lifes everyday problems when doing so is toughest and distractions are many is what people remember most about us.
Unlike many parents, I won't solve my childrens problems for them. I watch what our children do under duress. I will not save them from their problems, but help them learn from how they got into those situations and how they handled them to avoid them in the future. That builds confidence, integrity and character, and people of character are the leaders we're drawn to lead us in the future.
Everyone makes mistakes - stupid people make the same ones over and over - smart people learn from them.

To me, success is standing confidently (but humbly) before God at my judgment and knowing I did my best to be a good husband, father, friend and servant, and that my life exemplified what he intended for me.
Theres no luggage rack or trailer on a hearse.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well said, BC.

Our houses and cars will not remember or miss us when we're gone. They do not appreciate what we do. They do not return any love given them.

Key is the point about how we define success. Dargh, I'm writing like Yoda....I'll blame my son for playing Star Wars Lego III.

Happiness in one's life (overall) is how I would define success. This is all inclusive. Did I love my wife and children? Did I love my children enough to displease them and ensure I lived up to my responsibilities as a parent first? Have I treated my parents well (I have to work on this, it can be daunting; I try to remember I will be in there shoes in a very short time....I think about this from both sides...I will try to remember I will most likely become as my wife and I say "old people crazy"...I'm pretty sure I've self diagnosed some signs already)....Did I enjoy life?

To me, success is standing confidently (but humbly) before God at my judgment and knowing I did my best to be a good husband, father, friend and servant, and that my life exemplified what he intended for me.
I don't think you can articulate that more perfectly.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

I think BootCamp pretty much explained what my viewpoint on success is. On my mother's side of the family, my aunt's husband (meaning he is not a blood relative but married into the family) is very successful financially. He was able to retire in his 50s after being extremely successful in managing stores (I can't remember what corporation), then he created his own businesses that were successful. He got a huge house in Florida back in the 90s, as well as having many different homes in Oklahoma and one in Branson, Missouri as well as having a couple motor homes and boats. He can afford whatever he wants, but I don't think he is successful. The only reason why he isn't alone is because he happened to choose a person who was willing to give up her self-respect for him and more despite him, his child and step child are wonderful people who show him respect and love, though they don't like him. My aunt divorced him once, then for some reason got lonely and went back to his drunken screams. The issue is that he is more lucky to have married into the right family, but they only stay with him because of their beliefs of what is right and wrong and probably they've managed to somehow love him.

My Grandfather on the other hand I believe was successful in both categories. Despite starting off with having an abusive father and having no H.S. education let alone college, he managed to create three successful businesses (an autobody shop, a barbershop, and a house rental business). On top of this, he had a wife that he was extremely close to and loved very much. He had three daughters who were willing to take care of him when he was sick and dying even though it was difficult.

I'll expand on this later

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-28-2008, 02:55 PM

My success and my happiness are a direct result of my drug problem

I got "drug" to church on Sunday mornings.
I got "drug" to church for weddings and funerals.
I got "drug" to family re-s, no matter what the weather was like.
I got "drug" to school when we said we didn't feel good.
I got "drug" by my ears when disrespectful to adults and teachers.
I got "drug" to the woodshed when we disobeyed our parents.

Those "drugs" are still in my veins; and very much affect my behavior in what I do, say, and think.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 PM

WHY DOES THIS BOARD BLOCK THE WORD r.e.u.n.i.o.n.s??????