Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

I would not be surprised if dodge came out with a super charged challenger... but i personally would not buy one because mine is going to be a daily driver... but yes an SRT.. if i wanted a pure race car \ garage car... i would buy the viper or a new vette. But albeeno has always been fair in his opinion and i salute him for sticking to his guns
Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Hear, hear, Dave. He takes an unpopular stand with an unpopular opinion on a forum with pretty bright folks, and stands up to the cacophony of counter opinion. That has to be admired. His confused taste in automobile allegiance, however.....

Blue nO-Val [:@]

OK, ok, I like some of their cars...and if I were more economically independent, I would certainly consider a stable mate to my pending Chally, to be a Mach 1 Fastback when/(if) they come back with one. Favorite non-Mopar muscle was the 70/71 fb.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

SRT8 - 9.74
R/T - 10.55
Mustang GT - 11.81

Is the SRT8 really worth the extra 9 grand over the R/T?
Yes
Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

But mine goes to "11"......

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 AM

testify !
Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 AM

Unfortunately, I'm with Albeeno on this all the way. I mean I remember posts from people who were stating that the bragging rights doesn't come from what's slapped on the car after it's been tuned, it's what the car comes with straight out of the box. We have a car that produces 125 more hp then the Mustang, yet can only keep up with it. We have an engine coming out with 80 more hp and it will probably drop behind the Mustang a bit. What happened to those bragging rights? "My car has 125 more hp, but can't beat your car." I don't get it.

Ford puts a truck engine into a car and calls it a sports car, Chrysler drops a race car engine, in my opinion, in a truck and calls it a truck engine Hemi, though tq and hp ratings are just way to high when towing. They drop it in a car and call it a Hemi. To me that Hemi pulled my truck around quite well, where I'm baffled at is why won't it make this car more like a monster? Why doesn't it any of the cars? Is it because we haven't had a Hemi with a stick in it yet? Will that make it move better with the right gear ratio and driver, or not really?

Why am I paying $5-$10k more for a vehicle that can't beat or keep up with the Mustang? Really, the only two things I ask for is unique interior, even if it's all plastic, and something that keeps up with the Mustang. That would make me happy. I would still have a hard time paying the extra money for a comparable performing vehicle, but I would be more apt to do it. I'm mean honestly, if the performance doesn't matter that much to people, as I've heard on here, if the interior doesn't matter to people, as I've heard on here, why not just slap a Challenger body on the underpinnings of a Focus. It wouldn't fit, but work with me here. That's what I felt what happened. To me this car has lost value and should be at the same price as the Mustang. I would be more then happy to pay for that, but Chrysler seems to put this car above the Mustang, and probably above the Camaro, price wise, with lower standards then those two on performance and interior.

In reality I love Chrsyler and hate Ford, I hate everything that they stand for and support if you know what I mean, but when I saw the Mustang I had to have it. The only Ford I will ever own unless they give one to me. I know it doesn't sound like that, but I have pretty much owned Chrysler all my life, Plymouth Sundance, 3 Dakotas, 2 Rams, Plymouth Breeze, and I've been happy. This though has let me down.

I work hard for my money and I love the muscle cars even though I wasn't around, but I thought this was going to be a war like in the old days and that performance and styling was going to be a factor. Seems price and flash is what Chrysler is going for these days. Sell what you can so we, the new company, can get rid of this Chrysler to a foreign operator.

I can't wait to go back to Chrysler, but they have to give me a decent reason to. The Avenger is close, but doesn't cut it. The Charger would have, but no stick. The Ram may be the way to do it, but gas is a huge factor so I may not. I may have to sit and wait this one out and I'm very disappointed. I hope that I have a chance to change that soon.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 AM

axel your not making sense to me read the post i made earlier in this thread, the srt8 beats the mustang and no only people who can afford over msrp are paying over msrp. i have one on order for 40k msrp, and by the numbers this car will destroy the gt. and when the 6.4 l engine which will probably cost 47-50k msrp will destroy the gt500 which is running for about that price if your lucky or smart. look at the numbers , the charger srt8 already destroys gt mustangs, and now the challenger will do even better. the only thing that has to keep up is the mustang not the challenger. and out of the box is what counts than buy a turbo charged ricer that does 0-60 in the low 4s if you consider that out of the box, modding is a big part of this industry, and most people who buy performance cars are to be the fastest or when they see someone else thats faster they dont just say hey hes faster than me i cant do anything about it. no they start modding. either way i can go on and on about how the srt8 is better than the gt but this forum is great and has great people that speak out on their opinions such as axel albeeno and myself.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM

Yeah, I definietly take it on the chin once in a while in here, but it's nothing I can't handle. I appreciate the spirited debates. I hope others enjoy it as well and find it somewhat informative regardless of which side of the fence you're on. I can't even begin to tell you how much I've learned from you guys since registering on this site. I love it!! On the other hand - I'm willing to bet my downpayment that there's an Albeeno voo-doo doll dressed in a #12 Tom Brady jersey with a 1/18 scale replica 2005 Mustang GT next to it, somewhere in Boot Camp's house, but I'm not offended!

As I've stated previously, I'm not in anyway married to Ford. After taking some more time to think about / justify getting an R/T Challenger I have concluded that I'm still gonna do it! Somebody made a comment recently about seeing 10 Mustangs or something like that, on their way to work one day. For whatever reason, that really stuck with me. Obviously the Challenger is going to be very unique. To be one of the proud and the few will be awesome! I mean chances are you won't see three of them in every parking lot. Now, as long as it's comprable (performance-wise) to what I have now and I can get it at MSRP, in a color I want...I think I'm still on board. It's good to be back fellas!!!

DISCLAIMER: Albeeno hereby reserves the right to change his mind in the future...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Gear Ratios!!

Here is my opinion - take it for what its worth.

The Challenger car is geared for some higher top speed potential (which may help fuel mileage).

The auto trans SRT will be final geared with 3.06:1 gears and the manual will be 3.92:1 and assuming red line and trans gearing for each model will get the car to the top speed of 170 MPH.

Lets just use the manual version - assuming same redline & trans gearing - what if the rear end gearing was changed if your just concerned with 0-60 & 1/4 mile times.

4.11:1 would drop the top speed to 162
4.56:1 would drop the top speed to 146

These 2 changes would deliver 5% and 16% deeper gearing potential - what does that mean for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times - I don't have a performance calculator to get the expected performance or even the magnitude of the improvement, but the Challenger would improve acceleration #s.

I know the comparison is on stock vehicles so the Chrysler chosen stock gearing is it.

Put the Challenger against the Mustang GT on a superspeedway in stock trim, and you'll see the substantial difference in lap times.

We dont drive superspeedways and if we really wanted to drag the car we would gear it for that (or buy the SS version)

If your doing the stoplight to stoplight race, please stop and save some lives.

Bragging rights are reduced in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in order to add to the top speed bragging right and maybe the gas mileage in a relatively heavy car.

I may be wrong, but I'm still pursuing the 2009 SRT to get a hot car in all respects - no mods required.

Eric

Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK my 2 cents worth. No comparison! There is not one stock Challenger test. Only what someone thinks it will do. Lets wait until the tests are out and then do our bench racing. Do I think the GT is in the same league with the SRT-8s... no they are not. But a better run would be a 5.7 R/T against a GT. I would give the nod to the R/T. And to back it up, I know of several GTs to go down to a stock Go-Man-Go Charger Daytona. And it was'nt pretty. So my feelings are that a 6-speed SRT-8 Challenger will be closer to a GT-500 than you might think. It will be nice to hear the rhetoric as it ratchets up. So we all have opinions and until the test show what they will, it will be conjector. And then it will take a great driver to get the best out of each cars. So until we have the numbers.. its any ones best estimate. But since I'm not partial you should take my word for it The Challenger will be the one to beat, just like the 70s all over again. This is the car they will measure all others by. Again, just because I own only Mopars does not mean I'm partial

Quick Reply: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8