Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Chrysler is so FAR behind in Marketing

Old 04-01-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chrysler is so FAR behind in Marketing

i still want a frickin' RC Challenger.
I checked Wal-Mart and Toys Ain't Us, but NOOOOoooo! Nobody loves the Challenger enough.
At Sam's Club they have a huge RC pack of a camaro and a mustang.
are there any on ebay for a good price.
i need to start building my challenger collection.
All i have is Ferrari.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 66Cuda

I don’t think there is anything to market right now. The 08’s are sold out and there is no info on the 09’s. I think if there were commercials out for the Challenger people would go to dealerships to ask about them. The dealer has absolutely no info. You go on dodges website and you can look at pictures of the car but you really aren’t getting the info you need. You run the risk of angering your buyers by not providing them the info they need.

I would venture a guess that once info on the 09’s price and first order entry date are released that we will be seeing some advertising for them.
This pretty much sums up my concerns as well. No point in spending money on this and jumping the gun like GM has done with the Camaro. Save the money for when it can be used. The Dealers are already over loaded with orders, it will be fine until the car is in full production.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM

We shall see. How do you figure the dealers are overloaded with orders. I know of three that do not have firm buyers for the allocation of the cars.[&:]
Old 04-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Remember- Field of Cars - " build it they will come" A good product will almost market itself just by word of mouth. But I do feel some commercials will be out soon, its almost time for the Challenger 500.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:47 PM

Just look at all the confusion there's already been about this car before they even started marketing. They came out and showed the SRT version for 2008 and there was nothing but complaining about "This car is too expensive! There's no manual!". If they started advertising now there'd be even more people going "I can't find one at the dealership! There's no prices anywhere!".
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

We shall see. How do you figure the dealers are overloaded with orders. I know of three that do not have firm buyers for the allocation of the cars.[&:]
Because I have talked to several dealers that not only have their's already sold but have customers coming in all the time asking for them for orders that they can't fill yet.

The other thing is there is marketing. Just the other day, I saw a sponsored ad on youtube. They are advertising it some, but like I said, they will waste money and effort if they start the momentum full fledged right now when the car isn't readily available, they will crowd the dealerships with customers wanting it this instant, and the idea of waiting a few months will discourage the customers and cause them to want to go else where. Think about it, when did Toyota do the ads for their new Tundra, a few months before it was out, or right as they were releasing it in full fledged production where everyone could drive one. They did it when it was available. It would be a mistake to do it before they had it. The ads for the Charger did not come out until after they were at the dealerships. This is common marketing practices for today because we have a society full of people who lack patience. The idea of waiting a few months is like waiting a decade and they will lose their interest if you do it too soon. That is what is happening to GM with the Camaro. Also remember that Chrysler right now is on a tighter budget than GM or Ford and as a result needs to use their marketing money more wisely so then it is more effective. If you advertise now, you will have to continue advertising until the car is finally in full production. Better to wait until it is ready to be in full production, and this is coming from the keyboard of a marketer.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM

If that silly tube thing was so official why was it not on national TV? Someone made that silly thing up and posted it to YouTube.

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Because I have talked to several dealers that not only have their's already sold but have customers coming in all the time asking for them for orders that they can't fill yet.

The other thing is there is marketing. Just the other day, I saw a sponsored ad on youtube. They are advertising it some, but like I said, they will waste money and effort if they start the momentum full fledged right now when the car isn't readily available, they will crowd the dealerships with customers wanting it this instant, and the idea of waiting a few months will discourage the customers and cause them to want to go else where. Think about it, when did Toyota do the ads for their new Tundra, a few months before it was out, or right as they were releasing it in full fledged production where everyone could drive one. They did it when it was available. It would be a mistake to do it before they had it. The ads for the Charger did not come out until after they were at the dealerships. This is common marketing practices for today because we have a society full of people who lack patience. The idea of waiting a few months is like waiting a decade and they will lose their interest if you do it too soon. That is what is happening to GM with the Camaro. Also remember that Chrysler right now is on a tighter budget than GM or Ford and as a result needs to use their marketing money more wisely so then it is more effective. If you advertise now, you will have to continue advertising until the car is finally in full production. Better to wait until it is ready to be in full production, and this is coming from the keyboard of a marketer.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

If that silly tube thing was so official why was it not on national TV? Someone made that silly thing up and posted it to YouTube.
I'm not referring to one of those hundreds of videos that fans made, I'm referring one that was on the front page of YouTube.

Beyond this Paladin, you are forgetting the purpose of advertising. The purpose is also to inform people about the car a whole, the issue is all the information isn't out yet, the only one that there is information on is the 2008 models. It is wiser to wait until the pricing information is available on the non-SRT models so then they can market the car as a whole, because you risk scaring people away by saying the Dodge Challenger starting at $38K. That will make customers who are uneducated about the car think that all Challengers now and forever will be starting at this price.

On top of this, let's consider the fact that many have been criticizing Dodge for not being faster with the information and advertising. When has this information we now have had more value to us? Back in 2006, while we had to wait two years for the car to come out, or right before the car is going to be released? It is now, by keeping us in the dark all this time, they have been having us begging for more keeping our interest. Had we known the info we now know, we would have lost our interest and excitement by now and more of us would have moved on with our lives. Many have criticized Dodge for not updating the link on the Challenger for their cite and so forth when GM had so much more info. Now what are the experts saying about GMs effort? They are saying that they jumped the gun. Why should Chrysler follow GM's marketing style if the critics are saying their style isn't going to work correctly. Also, remember that the G8 actually is in full production and has been given full tests in magazines, whereas the Challenger has not at this point; therefore, it is only natural that people know more about the G8. Once it is in full production, I guarantee we will have plenty of commercials just like we had plenty of commercials for the Charger, Avenger, Nitro, and other newer Dodge models. Just be patient.

My opinion is that we have seen that the wait until it is in production approach works, and we are seeing that the before it is produced approach sometimes backfires and costs more money. I'm going with wait until it goes into production.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts