Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay

Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Second Chally off Production Line On Sale On Ebay

@ almost half the price, should the Viper not be in the GT's Mirror? An unmolested production Viper w/ numbers close enough to the production GT could certainly surpass it with ease for cool 20G in aftermarket investments, leaving the owner still w/ a 50G savings at the end of the day! They could use that to purchase a Challenger!

I've always like Chrysler for their performance value and styling. Which begs the question on the Ford 500? Did they Ford feel compelled to have an Edsel of this century or what? ;-)

Old 10-10-2007, 11:24 AM

That's a good point about the gap in price...but my point earlier was that Dodge's best vs Ford's best ain't even a contest my friend! BTW, what do you think modifying a Viper would do to it's re-sale value? My guess is it would decrease the value of the Viper significantly. So now you've thrown away all that money on a potential re-sale just to gain a few 10ths of a second 0-60??? Given the opportunity I'd take a Ford GT over a Dodge Viper any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The Ford 500/Edsel is an obvious embarassment, I'll certainly agree with that. That's why they re-branded it and it's now a 2008 Taurus. I'll go out on a limb here and say that by doing exactly that, it will ultimately lead to more sales of the 500/Edsel/Taurus!

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

@ almost half the price, should the Viper not be in the GT's Mirror? An unmolested production Viper w/ numbers close enough to the production GT could certainly surpass it with ease for cool 20G in aftermarket investments, leaving the owner still w/ a 50G savings at the end of the day! They could use that to purchase a Challenger!

I've always like Chrysler for their performance value and styling. Which begs the question on the Ford 500? Did they Ford feel compelled to have an Edsel of this century or what? ;-)
Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Some people know the price of everything and value of nothing. The pleasure derived from using a car or the utilitarian purpose of being transported is the only value I would glean from a car.

I'm a simple man, I invest my money in mutual funds, savings bonds and real estate. Automobiles do not represent a re-sale for profit opportunity, but rather a potential for the enjoyment of consuming their services to me.

If someone were giving me one, yeah I'd take the GT too, if I were purchasing I'd buy the viper pocket the "extry cash" (paradox), or again, get a challenger and viper for the same money! :-)

I'm glad we can agree on the 500. I find it disheartening, that a company as innovative as Ford was in the 80's to get us out of the box and angle trend of styling in the 80's, with of all things the Taurus (further disheartening they would besmirch such a valued product line that fought the good fight 'til the Camry became king) and began what would be THE streamlined look of the 90's, would come back 18 years or so later with a car that appears to me like a big American interpretation of a Passat/A4 or kind of original Taurus looking. I liked those designs when they came out in the mid/late 90's (Taurus late 80's) but for your flag ship to be so vapid and dated? It didn't go w/ the whole GT40 thing leading them back to being an aggressive forward looking company.

I understand the 500 handles nicely and hasn't been too bug prone.....I just wish they had maybe leaned more in the direction of the Fusion or the Milan.....or hell, do a re-work of the Crown Vic....like the soon to be Imperial......

Old 10-11-2007, 06:23 AM

Speaking of the Fusion - my Father owns a 2006 Fusion SEL with all wheel drive and he absolutely loves it! I've gone for a few rides with him and the fit & finish is very impressive as well as the ride quality. Overall I like it a lot, but again, not a big fan of the Taurus/500.

I am a huge fan however of the Dodge Challenger and can't wait to start seeing them in the showrooms! I feel like I'm waiting for the prom to end all over again so I can just go back to the hotel room with my date! Anyway, I was planning on going to a local dealership this weekend to inquire about getting on a list, leaving a deposit, etc. I'm really curious to see what happens. Wish me luck!

Some people know the price of everything and value of nothing. The pleasure derived from using a car or the utilitarian purpose of being transported is the only value I would glean from a car.

I'm a simple man, I invest my money in mutual funds, savings bonds and real estate. Automobiles do not represent a re-sale for profit opportunity, but rather a potential for the enjoyment of consuming their services to me.

If someone were giving me one, yeah I'd take the GT too, if I were purchasing I'd buy the viper pocket the "extry cash" (paradox), or again, get a challenger and viper for the same money! :-)

I'm glad we can agree on the 500. I find it disheartening, that a company as innovative as Ford was in the 80's to get us out of the box and angle trend of styling in the 80's, with of all things the Taurus (further disheartening they would besmirch such a valued product line that fought the good fight 'til the Camry became king) and began what would be THE streamlined look of the 90's, would come back 18 years or so later with a car that appears to me like a big American interpretation of a Passat/A4 or kind of original Taurus looking. I liked those designs when they came out in the mid/late 90's (Taurus late 80's) but for your flag ship to be so vapid and dated? It didn't go w/ the whole GT40 thing leading them back to being an aggressive forward looking company.

I understand the 500 handles nicely and hasn't been too bug prone.....I just wish they had maybe leaned more in the direction of the Fusion or the Milan.....or hell, do a re-work of the Crown Vic....like the soon to be Imperial......

Old 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck! I'm waiting for the manual tranny and the initial hysteria to dissipate. I was initially going to rush out and try to get one of the first ones...but I've waited this long....another 6 to 8 months ought to drive bugs out, maybe get an opp for the vvt on the hemi.....and leave me with enough time to feverishly squirrel away funds for kids' school....

I used to work at a Dodge dealership when the first Vipers came out. They were a 5 Star dealer, so they got on the short list. It sat in our a showroom for a month while he kept receiving bids chinese auction style (I think it eventually went for over 15 above sticker). The guy who purchased it had a stable of Classic clean Chryslers...when he was taking it away, I remember him talking about how they had just finished the garage he was building for this one car ..... must be nice.......

Not to rehash a common sentiment, hopefully this doesn't pull a Miata, or in Mopar heritage, a Prowler (initally stickered in low 30's but quickly boomed because of demand then disappeared....) by being so sought after it's nye impossible to find/acquire.

As for Ford, if I were to ever own non-Mopar muscle, '70 Mach 1 FastBack. For a non Chrysler, it just looks right. Who knows maybe ford will consider a parallel evolution (save the Mustang 2 of course! )

Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 AM

i just can't wait to see it in the show room. i would have the patience to wait but if had the money to blow i'd have no problem being first in line
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 AM

Dealer markups definitely suck, no doubt! I'd really like say that I have the patience to wait, but I know myself all too well and I honestly don't think I do! I did the same thing with my Mustang GT back in 2005 and definitely overpaid for it. Today, I tend to regret it a little, but a quick trip thru the gears is an easy way to help me forget. Anyway, from everything I've seen it would appear that the estimated base price on the Challenger will range from $31-$35K...I'm assuming that would be for the 5.7 liter, not the 6.1 liter, correct?

Speaking of a `70 Mach 1 (which are absolutely beautiful) there's a guy who lives a few miles down the road from me and he has a `70 Mach 1 that just sits in his driveway without a cover! It appears to be in really good condition (I've taken a couple of close looks when nobody's home), however it NEVER moves! It's backed in to the guy's driveway and there it sits winter, spring, summer and fall. I've thought about inquiring whether or not it's for sale, but have no idea what something like that would even go for. Plus, I'd much rather save up for that new Challenger any way.

Good luck! I'm waiting for the manual tranny and the initial hysteria to dissipate. I was initially going to rush out and try to get one of the first ones...but I've waited this long....another 6 to 8 months ought to drive bugs out, maybe get an opp for the vvt on the hemi.....and leave me with enough time to feverishly squirrel away funds for kids' school....

I used to work at a Dodge dealership when the first Vipers came out. They were a 5 Star dealer, so they got on the short list. It sat in our a showroom for a month while he kept receiving bids chinese auction style (I think it eventually went for over 15 above sticker). The guy who purchased it had a stable of Classic clean Chryslers...when he was taking it away, I remember him talking about how they had just finished the garage he was building for this one car ..... must be nice.......

Not to rehash a common sentiment, hopefully this doesn't pull a Miata, or in Mopar heritage, a Prowler (initally stickered in low 30's but quickly boomed because of demand then disappeared....) by being so sought after it's nye impossible to find/acquire.

As for Ford, if I were to ever own non-Mopar muscle, '70 Mach 1 FastBack. For a non Chrysler, it just looks right. Who knows maybe ford will consider a parallel evolution (save the Mustang 2 of course! )

Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM

I can't wait to see it on the road. That actually might be the real challenge in this first year. If people are going to have the money to pay whatever for this car then more than likely we aren't going to see to many on the road. I just hope that they have at least one sitting in the showroom until I can get mine with the manual. That should give me my fix until then. I'll go in and rub it, sit in it and feel the auto stick, bad word autostick, between my fingers, feel the seats under my butt and that steering wheel in my hand.........sorry, I thought I was alone there for a moment.