Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

A camera with a cell phone is a must!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A camera with a cell phone is a must!

It's both. This town is the population of 4500 people who can't get along. My family has not been liked by some of the big families because "we are outsiders. We weren't hear when this town was founded." I'm glad we weren't because some of the things these families were involved in was completely illegal and unethical.

My dad moved to this dump in 1977 for his job and would like to move were I am currently because I am living where he grew up. The only things stopping him is he likes his job and the people he works with (99.9% of the people he works with don't live in this town) and my mom likes this area (I'm sure she would love Baghdad if she lived there for a couple years). Even though I am almost finished with summer session, I am not looking forward to going "home." I hate town I have to live in. Also another reason why my parents won't move is my dad's financial idol is Jack Benny. "Moving costs money," "this community has a much lower estate tax." Yes that is because no one in their right mind wants to live here. There are no jobs because these people drove the businesses away. These people are so divided that there is something around 6 different churches of the SAME DENOMINATION. The ex-chief of police's son was arrested (who was also a cop) for murdering a video rental store employee for no reason.

I am NOT a person who believes all police are bad, but the ones in this town are. They harassed me one time because I didn't have a light on my bike (not a law in this state or town) and I didn't have my driver's license with me (it's a bicycle, not a car or motorcycle, it isn't required); meanwhile, there are cases they need to deal with such as my neighboors have a pitbull that keeps getting loose and has caused some problems, I have witnessed my neighboors doing illegal drugs and know many more who are doing the same. Do they deal with this? No. My brother worked at a fast food restuarant were they were getting people who were beyond wasted in the drive threw. They would call the police about these people and the police told them to stop calling. One time a car accident happened in the drive threw with a lady who was wasted, the police talked to her for a minuet and let her DRIVE home without a ticket. A girl in my class was clocked at driving 94 mph in a 30 zone. After the Shieff pulled her over, she got out of the car and walked to his window and started talking to him. She didn't get a ticket. I have tons of examples I could give. I will give you the dirt I have on the school system in this town sometime. They should be shut down.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Gosh, it sounds like a daytime soap or it should be on a episode of Jerry Springer.

I would certainly leave but I understand your Dad's position about his job.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

My dad's problem is he is anti-confrontational (something I definately haven't inherited) and he is too afraid to try something new. He is very good at being an accountant and he could pretty much get a job anywhere he wanted (there is a huge demand for that job) and could get paid a lot better, but he likes the people he works with.

I think it really comes down to my mom. My dad will do anything for my mom. He isn't happy unless she is happy (and even then he still isn't happy that often), and she wants to live close to her family (they are demented and a soap opera could be made off of them alone) and I don't know why she wants to live close to her family. They bully her, bad mouth her, gossip about her behind her back (and each other for that manner), they enjoy hearing bad news. They belong in a nuthouse. They get drunk all the time at every family reunion and get into fights over who has a larger portion of food (and they're between the ages of 55-85). This is why I don't drink because every time I see a beer I remember those terrible family reunions. Now my dad's side is perfectly normal and my mom fits in better with my dad's side than with my mom's side. I disown myself from my moms side.

Actually one of my friend's neighboors was supposively on Jerry Springer. That should be a sign that something is wrong. I'll tell you more when I have more time. It is interesting how when I go home after one week I become extremely depressed and then when I come back for college (which you all know I hate college) I'm no longer depressed. Go figure.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Well, all I can tell you is that you only get one set of parents and the bible tells us to honor and obey them.

It also says to love your neighbor as yourself so that means your relatives as well but that doesn't mean you have to hang around and listen
to what negative things they say.

Your Mom probabaly lives close by because she knows that someday they won't be there.

Great advice - You don't talk about anybody if you don't have anything good to say about anybody.

I don't drink either as I work very hard to keep in shape and drinking isn't what it cracked it to be and all it does
is potentially get you in trouble.

I hope things work out.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Well, all I can tell you is that you only get one set of parents and the bible tells us to honor and obey them.
I do my best. I actually have a really good relationship with them, I call them once a day (one of the benefits of free calls after 7). We just have different personality traits which causes minor conflicts.
It also says to love your neighbor as yourself so that means your relatives as well but that doesn't mean you have to hang around and listen
to what negative things they say.
I do rant a lot as you can see. I may not like a lot of them, but I really do love them. It might no seem that way, but I really do. I pray for them all the time.
Your Mom probabaly lives close by because she knows that someday they won't be there.
Your probably right about that. She is loyal to them. I do have a lot of respect for her on that. I just get frustrated at times so I was a little more of a jerk than usual (this was a stressful week for me being finals week for summer session).
Great advice - You don't talk about anybody if you don't have anything good to say about anybody.
Excellent advice. Advice I need to take more often (I'll admit it).
I don't drink either as I work very hard to keep in shape and drinking isn't what it cracked it to be and all it does
is potentially get you in trouble.

I hope things work out.
Thanks Jeremiah! It will work out, I'm sure of that. It is just the cross I have to bear. I'm lucky that mine is as light weight as it is. I have no addictions. My parents did an excellent job of bringing me up. I'm more than slightly opinionate and I like to let everyone know what I think. I'm a little louder than usual do to an instructor I had who liked to rant about his personal beliefs (many of which offended me and I would bet would offend you as well since your more religious like myself).

I also like to keep in shape. I go on 1-2 hour walks every evening. I do lots of push-ups and crunches.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-29-2006, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome!

You are going to do just fine.

PS- I am not into religion as that was invented by man.

I consider myself a Christian which is someone who follows Christ.

A Christian is not somebody who:

1. Does good things.

2. Has been going going to church since he was born.

3. Whose parents go to church so that makes them a Christian.

4. Even believes in God........James 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
Even the Devil believes in God and he is not going to heaven.

Many people will miss Heaven by 12”…. the distance from their head to their heart.

Here is how you can receive Christ: 1. Admit your need. (I am a sinner) 2. Be willing to turn from your sins (repent). 3. Believe that Jesus Christ died for you on the Cross and rose from the grave. 4. Through prayer, invite Jesus Christ to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit. Receive Him as Lord and Savior)

Typical prayer:
Dear Lord Jesus
I know I am a sinner and need your forgiveness. I believe that You died for my sins. I want to turn from my sins. I now invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to turn and follow You as Lord and Savior. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

RLSH700.....it is that simple yet so many people do not ever receive Christ into their heart and miss Heaven by 12" (this is a Billy Graham quote).

Have you done that? Tell me your thougths.

Now this post is labeled "A cellphone with a Camera is a must" .....boy did we change that subject.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

We certainly did get off topic on this off topic discussion, but oh well. There is more to being a Christian that just the movements. You have to have a full relationship with God. I have one and have had one for a long time. I really don't know how to respond beyond that. My father warned me many times that faith is an issue that is not the best thing to discuss.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

We certainly did get off topic on this off topic discussion, but oh well. There is more to being a Christian that just the movements. You have to have a full relationship with God. I have one and have had one for a long time. I really don't know how to respond beyond that. My father warned me many times that faith is an issue that is not the best thing to discuss.
My Dad used to tell me the same thing but 25 years later he knows better. Your Dad may be saying that because of what you told me of not wanting to be confrontational but as Christians we are to be bold.

Here is what the Bible has to say about that:

Matthew 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

This is called the Great Commission.....I am sure you have heard and read that scripture before.

I am glad to hear to have a relationship with God. Totally Awesome and thanks for sharing that.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

My Dad used to tell me the same thing but 25 years later he knows better. Your Dad may be saying that because of what you told me of not wanting to be confrontational but as Christians we are to be bold.

Here is what the Bible has to say about that:

Matthew 28:18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

This is called the Great Commission.....I am sure you have heard and read that scripture before.

I am glad to hear to have a relationship with God. Totally Awesome and thanks for sharing that.
Well I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I debate with my relatives who are not Christian quite often. I've been burnt on forums (including the one where my title name "RLSH700" came from) before by discussing this subject before (some of the people I met were quite frightening), and as a result I'm just a little apprehensive. I'm also a little rusty on discussing this. I'm just concerned that this might cause some problems, that we might have different opinions on certain things.

The problem is I have meet some Christians who have similar beliefs as mine, but differ on some small issues and that caused a disaster. I have Christian friends that have more different beliefs than I who I can discuss the difference and make no big deal about it. We both consider each to be a devote Christian and agree to disagree.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I might have some different beliefs than you and I don't want that to become a problem. If we can talk about common ground issues, I would prefer that. I'm thinking more down the road discussions. More general discussion about living as a Christian. Sharing advice, scripture verses and so forth. I feel comfortable about that.

Do you understand what I'm saying? Make no mistake I have no problem about talking about my faith. My faith and relationship with God is the reason why I have been able to do as well as I have. I went to a Christian high school and I'm proud of it. I'm just concerned about a conflict between our beliefs and I don't want to make an issue over the differences.

BTW, are we allow to talk about this topic in the off topic in this forum?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts