Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Challenger markup

Old 05-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Challenger markup

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

We are just having fun because of the excitement.
It's really that simple.

You should be as excited as we are, because you and your dealership will make a great profit on these very same cars.

If I were a salesman and knew that right around the corner there was a car coming out in high demand, I would be counting down the minutes until the cars came in. You will make a ton of money during the first few months with collectors or guys/gals rich enough they will spend what is necessary to have the first Challenger on the block.

For an analogy, just see what has happened to the Shelby. There were Shelby's on ebay for $70,000 or so, and these were dealerships posting these cars on ebay, not just individuals.

You will make your profit, instead of complaining about those that are excited, why not join us in anticipation of the new car. It's all good.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM

With the new Challenger coming out, the demand for the Ford Shelby GT 500 will cool off a bit. With that said, when the 2009 Camaro comes out, 2009 Challengers will become an everyday appearence on dealers lots. People will always run to the newest model to see what all the fuss is about. Human nature.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:52 AM

Dodge sales...if you want to give me a quote via the internet in about a year let me know. Please dont be put off by some of the people on here. They think that due to their autonomous nature they can be rude.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 PM

Even though Dodgesales comes across a bit prickly I think his points are pretty much dead on. This car is HOT! It will bear a steep premium out of the gate...bottom line. It's naive to think someone will sell it for MSRP out of the goodness of their heart...please.

Every business should be in business to make money & that includes car dealers.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

The reality is this car when introduced will command top dollar and their are those willing to pay for it and those that don't.

Some will have the money at when introduced and some will have to wait a bit.

A sales manager should know this and "roll with the punches" because every customer is different. I know this because I have been in high tech sales for 28 years.

Some customers are harder to deal with than others, but I learn how to deal with them but I am still nice about it.

All that being said, there is no need to be "prickly" on this site.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

The reality is this car when introduced will command top dollar and their are those willing to pay for it and those that don't.

Some will have the money at when introduced and some will have to wait a bit.

A sales manager should know this and "roll with the punches" because every customer is different. I know this because I have been in high tech sales for 28 years.

Some customers are harder to deal with than others, but I learn how to deal with them but I am still nice about it.

All that being said, there is no need to be "prickly" on this site.
Agreed. Especially on a public site. This can leave a bad taste in someones mouth, and not want to buy at a car from this dealer. I wouldn't go to this dealer after reading this.

When I go get a new car, I am nice as can be. Because I know it isn't personal, it is business. IF they are cool I stick around and conduct business. But if they show it is getting personal and start showing bad manners, I smile and leave. . If a deal can't be made, that is life and get over it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:57 PM

Jeremiah 29:11, You are lost! I have no plans of ripping anyone off at all. We are just going to ask a profit just like every other dealership in the nation. Get a friggin clue! So you hate salesman? And you are one. A high tech one at that, that can't close a friggin door with telling it something bad about the other one! You are the guy that tells his potential customers how bad his competition is to get them to buy something. The biggest DO NOT in slaes!
Or is that just my perception of what you do?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

You are lost!

And you know this how?

I have no plans of ripping anyone off at all.

I never said that.

We are just going to ask a profit just like every other dealership in the nation.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Get a friggin clue! So you hate salesman? And you are one.

Get a clue about what? I never used the hate toward salesman. Maybe that you are possbily young sales manager that has not learned to work
with a variety of tough customers that can say bad things and you have to learn to roll with the punches.

A high tech one at that, that can't close a friggin door with telling it something bad about the other one! You are the guy that tells his potential customers how bad his competition is to get them to buy something.

I never bad mouth my competition. Because of the high tech nature of my products and the fact that we are the #1 WW leader in these products I have customers
asking for my products and services because they very much need them. I am more of a consultative sale engineer.

The biggest DO NOT in slaes!

I already said we are the biggest.

Or is that just my perception of what you do?

You obviously totally have it all wrong.

I am not giving you any slack because being in sales you should know better. Keep your cool, especially on this forum. Enough said.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Most of us have been around the block enough times to know that there are honest and dishonest people in EVERY business. And every business exists to make money - otherwise the doors aren't open very long.
I did the "auto salesman" (new & used) gig with a local Ford dealership some 20+ years ago - only long enough to know that the job wasn't for me. It's just as respectable as any other job - when done right at a reputable dealership. There were great people there, and real scumbags too. In time, the scumbags got weeded out (like everywhere else).
One of the most lasting lessons I learned in school that was reinforced through working at that dealership was that people buy for one of two reasons - they WANT a product, or they NEED a product. As a salesman, the job is easier when the prospect NEEDS the product (no convincing necessary, and less pre-purchase anxiety). The prospect that WANTS a product is a harder sell (many more factors affect the salesman's ability to close the deal - primarily, the price). Sure, some sales are easier than others based strictly on "want", but those people who can afford to buy whatever they want (money's no object) are very few and far between.

I think the vast majority of the members of this forum (and potential Challenger owners in general) WANT the Challenger, don't NEED the Challenger, and are willing to stick to thier personal spending limits when it comes to making a deal on the car when it finally becomes available.
I also believe that the vast majority of the members of this forum (and potential buyers, in general) are saavy enough to see what's happened with limited production cars like the Challenger in the past (most recently / currently - the Shelby Mustangs) as dealerships use Ebay almost exclusively to sell the "Shelby's" (YES, car sales ARE made on the internet - obviously, some of the most lucrative to the dealerships, or it wouldn't be happening as frequently/exclusively as it is!).
I think, with very few exceptions, most of us are at a point where we're financially secure enough to be able to afford a car like this, but haven't gotten to this point in our lives by being frivolous with our money either. I will NOT pay over MSRP for ANY car at ANY time. I never have before, and I never will. The Challenger is a WANT for me. If I have to wait to get my Challenger because I refuse to pay over MSRP, then I'll wait. Maybe as the time passes, more colors and options (that I want) will become available - then again, maybe not. Maybe the price will NEVER fall to or below MSRP. I don't know - I'm not an "auto psychic". Then there's always the possibility that another car may be made that gets me drooling during the wait. Sure, I WANT a Challenger, but I can survive without it.

What hasn't been mentioned here is the "double markup" dealerships enjoy - one on the new car being sold, and one (usually MUCH larger) on the sale of the used car that was traded in. I don't begrudge a dealership it's profit - as long as it isn't exorbitant and at my expense. If a dealer expects MSRP or more for THIER car, I expect RETAIL or above for MINE. That seems fair enough.

Really, sales are a matter of timing - selling/buying the right product for the right price at the right time. Every good salesman and smart customer know that "demand controlls the price" as well as "a sale puts money on the books - a prospect walking out of the showroom does not".
Old 05-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

I think, with very few exceptions, most of us are at a point where we're financially secure enough to be able to afford a car like this
Based on the ages I have seen on this site, we have a large group in the 40's and an equally large group in the 20's.

I am not sure if the guys in their 20's can say they are financially secure enough to able to afford a car like this. But they can sure start saving their money up.

Quick Reply: Challenger markup